Tangs and tank size.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kinda one sided to say do what makes you happy, what about the poor fish? Our job is not to torture or hurt livestock but to help and nourish those fish and give them the best life they can have in a tank.

being responsible fish owners means NOT doing just what make YOU happy.

I'm sorry Carey, i have a huge heart and i do care and i dont want to harm fish. However, **** does happen. This community is tough... Fit in or die? I say... Live learn laugh and even YOU realize that there is some value to my post. The same way i respect your opinion as well as others.

I'm all for sharing an opinion, its everyones right to say what they want or feel. Some of us chiming in do in fact have tangs and can speak from experience not just some rhetoric everyone rehashes everytime this type of question comes up. lol

The problem with throwing out an opinion such as do what makes you happy, you will be giving the green light to people who are just looking for an excuse to do what they want. There are alot of younger members on here that don't have the first hand experience some of us have and will do just as they please without thought to the ramifications. And you are right, stuff does happen that is out of our control but me at least, I try to limit that potential.

Every few weeks a topic like this comes up and both sides weigh in and then it just happens again a few months later. LOL It's a viscous cycle I tell ya.....

But in all seriousness, my opinion is that anything other than a bristletooth related tang has no place in anything other than a 6 foot tank. My opinion, and I just hope that it carries some weight and heck, it might even save a fish, you never know. lol

And thats all I have to say about that! LOL

I'm all for sharing an opinion, its everyones right to say what they want or feel. Some of us chiming in do in fact have tangs and can speak from experience not just some rhetoric everyone rehashes everytime this type of question comes up. lol

The problem with throwing out an opinion such as do what makes you happy, you will be giving the green light to people who are just looking for an excuse to do what they want. There are alot of younger members on here that don't have the first hand experience some of us have and will do just as they please without thought to the ramifications. And you are right, stuff does happen that is out of our control but me at least, I try to limit that potential.

Every few weeks a topic like this comes up and both sides weigh in and then it just happens again a few months later. LOL It's a viscous cycle I tell ya.....

But in all seriousness, my opinion is that anything other than a bristletooth related tang has no place in anything other than a 6 foot tank. My opinion, and I just hope that it carries some weight and heck, it might even save a fish, you never know. lol

And thats all I have to say about that! LOL

I value your opinion and i'm here to learn so in turn i understand. I didn't just throw it out there... I placed it gently. :) I feel that it's difficult for newcomers (like myself) to make mistakes, to admit them, to ask questions and simply because every post that says I'm putting a tang in my nano gets eaten up. You know i'm not incriminating you or anyone els for that matter. It is a vicious cycle... And we all carry some sort of passion, but does it have to be vicious? Lol

Personally i'm falling in love with my fish... It takes time for me. We all don't have the same amount of time invested in this life style. Sometimes i feel we should all take a breather and realize that puppy love is just that. I find people like yourself intriguing and fun and definitely someone who can teach me a thing or three.

And thats all i have to say about that too señorita.

People are always going to do what makes them happy, just don't look here for justification if it turns out to be thought a bad idea by the vast majority of the forum members. **** does happen, but I don't want to fail, so I listen. And if the deal is to buy fish you can't support and they die, maybe you were happy, for a while, but it damages our hobby and places us all at risk of ridiculous government regulations on collecting and sale. When asked for my opinion, I give it freely with the warranty that it was worth what you paid for it. Peace.

Now that we've all let it out we can move on. :)

There are plenty of tang or tang look alike options for the 4 foot tank people, just need to do some research is all. :)

People are always going to do what makes them happy, just don't look here for justification if it turns out to be thought a bad idea by the vast majority of the forum members. **** does happen, but I don't want to fail, so I listen. And if the deal is to buy fish you can't support and they die, maybe you were happy, for a while, but it damages our hobby and places us all at risk of ridiculous government regulations on collecting and sale. When asked for my opinion, I give it freely with the warranty that it was worth what you paid for it. Peace.

Amazing! Respected and understood. I'm not looking for anything. I merely commented... Just like everyone else. I am defending a though perhaps but it has escalated way beyond an LOL. I'm easy going and although it's difficult to see through texts... I'm not the least bit angered or discouraged by all of this.

Amazing! Respected and understood. I'm not looking for anything. I merely commented... Just like everyone else. I am defending a though perhaps but it has escalated way beyond an LOL. I'm easy going and although it's difficult to see through texts... I'm not the least bit angered or discouraged by all of this.

I understand. Posts can sometime convey the opposite of what you intended. Happens to me a lot. ;-)

Going back to the original topic. My question is, would it be a bad idea keeping a tang in less than recommended size tank but when the time comes that it becomes stress, get points from lfs with another smaller fish?

Going back to the original topic. My question is, would it be a bad idea keeping a tang in less than recommended size tank but when the time comes that it becomes stress, get points from lfs with another smaller fish?

Sure. Just don't get too attached to the fish. Move it before stress sets in to give it the best chance of survival.

Also remember some fish don't need much room. My hippo is 6-7" and she barely makes it to the left size of my 6ft tank. But my buddy's hippo zooms all over his like she is trying to get out of his. Basically fish have personalities and preferences. And no my hippo is not sick haha I know my fish she's just lazy for a tang.

Sure. Just don't get too attached to the fish. Move it before stress sets in to give it the best chance of survival.
That's what I like to hear cause I have this yellow tang about 4" now for more than a year in my 60 gal tank. As you can see on the video she is healthy as can be. Just hoping she don't grow that fast yet.

I kept a red sea sailfin in a 30 breeder for a little while. I think this fish was happy to be there because it was an algae ridden frag tank and it was skinny as could be and about 1.5" long.
It was only a couple months, but it really shaped up and colored up.

I think that people that are going to add fish to smaller than recommended tanks need to understand that it's not going to work forever and there is a good chance there will be health related issues, often before they are large. I try to pass that info on when people ask and I also do my best to help all the folks that go against those guidelines and have health related issues over on the Sick Fish forum.

Problem with this whole idea of "ill get this tang and just return him when he's bigger" is bs. These are living animals and anytime we "return" them or move them it stresses them out. If you want the fish start with the right tank. Easy as that. Tangs need large areas and even a baby blue hippo may only be 1" which to us is small they still swim miles just like the adults. Maybe not 8-10 miles but 4-5. That in itself is a lot of room and to place them in a 3' or even a 4' is stressful to them in a short period of time, usually sooner then anyone will upgrade if they ever do. Get some wrasse (which have more colors) then tangs, chromis, clowns, Pygmy angels, so many other options that won't stress fish out and will in the long run save you from having ich or velvet in your tank

I tend to agree, but I'm trying to be nice. Being called the tang police allows some to just ignore recommendations and do what they had already decided to do anyway. They figure these recommendations won't apply to them.

The reference to being a tang police does not mean that recommendations and or advice will not be considered and or taken. It simply means to let it go... Because there is no such thing as a "tang police" and therefore we will make decisions based on our homework etc... This community is ran by the same dozen. Don't allow anyone to tell you what you should do just because "they" say so. I believe i used "they" as well as you? :D

Talk about beating a dead horse.

It keeps coming up. A new person asks once a week the same thing. Nobody seems to review older posts. I am just trying to help. I sold my fish stores for reasons just like this. Don't ask for opinions if you don't want them. For me, the information here and the friendships of other forum members has made it worth while.

Nobody runs this forum other than the moderators. There are a handful of us that try to answer as many questions as we can, but rule the forum is not accurate. If you are upset about this, quit reading our posts.

Last edited:
A 1" blue in a 90 gallon will be fine. However as that fish grows, say to 3 or 4 inches, it should be removed. The "it needs a 180 gallon tank" rule needs to be revised to account for fish size. I will also note that I will be putting a blue tang into my 90 under the above mentioned rule. I don't need the same fish for 10 years. I just want a blue in my tank.

Back
Top Bottom