Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-08-2013, 03:00 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Tangs and tank size.

Now I hate to beat a dead dead horse but is is this whole 6' tank minimum a preference or is it a proven fact? I can't get a clear idea. I have a 125g tall tank so it's only 48" long. Safe or do I stick to tiny nano fish?

Old 07-08-2013, 03:56 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

What species are you interested in.

Rule number two: Always cycle your tank.
bettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:30 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettaowner View Post
What species are you interested in.
+1
I have yellow tangs and a blue hippo tang in my 92 gallon along with about 5 other fish
Old 07-08-2013, 06:32 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I have a bristleooth blue eyed tang in my four foot 90g and I feel its not enough space for him to zoom around. I also have a 6 foot tank which houses a tomini tang, a blue hippo and a yellow. I also feel, that esoecially for the blue I dont have enough room. I am working on a tank upgrade to accomodate the ones I have, I feel so bad sometimes when I see them race along the length of the tank and then suddenly stop at the end. I would prefer a 7foot or 8 foot but who knows what i will find.

If you stuck to a less racy fish, the bristle tooth family might be the answer for a four foot tank. Me, personally, I wouldnt put a yellow or escpecially a blue in a four foot tank no matter how tall.

There are lots of options for your tank that dont necessatrily mean "nano" fish.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:53 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have a blue regal tang in a 4' tank. Mind you he's currently only about 2.5" and he's perfectly happy. That being said I know I can't keep him forever. By the time he's 5-6" I will have to rehome him. Especially since my tank is fairly shallow.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:26 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I'm betting 99.7% of 125 gallon reef tanks on earth have at least 1 tang in them.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:29 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

It isn't just a matter of preference. Surgeonfish (tangs) have thin slime coats that protects them from parasites. This coating can be effected by stress and break down, opening the fish as a host for parasites to get a foothold in your tank. Diet, room to swim and hide relative to the fishes size and good tank mates are what you need to shoot for. Tangs and trigger fish swim miles and miles every day foraging. It's like putting a wild mustang in a back yard. They just aren't very happy when they run out of room.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:49 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I tend to agree with the six foot rule for most Tangs (bristle tooth are the exceptions). When you look at people with Tangs posting about "My Tang has Ich, MV, whatever", it is almost always in a smaller tank. IMO, that is not random. Stress, due to Tangs being in smaller than recommended tanks, breaks down their slime coat, lowers immunity and opens them up to problems. The same concept goes for any fish really, but Tangs start off with the thin slime coat disadvantage.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:53 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTodd View Post
I tend to agree with the six foot rule for most Tangs (bristle tooth are the exceptions). When you look at people with Tangs posting about "My Tang has Ich, MV, whatever", it is almost always in a smaller tank. IMO, that is not random. Stress, due to Tangs being in smaller than recommended tanks, breaks down their slime coat, lowers immunity and opens them up to problems. The same concept goes for any fish really, but Tangs start off with the thin slime coat disadvantage.
But it is relative. A 1" hippo tang is perfectly happy for a while in a 55 gallon tank. But "a while" can be as short as a half a year. The plans to get a bigger tank may be justification for buying the small fish, but it just doesn't happen all that often and the fish gets tank bound and sick.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:23 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I am looking at adding a yellow tank, yellow eyed kol, and possibly a blue hippo. (I will have plenty of swim space and I am aqua scraping to maximize the amount of "territories" in the tank (caves and what not.) I am just worried that they will freak out in there. I will be buying them pretty small 1.5-2in each

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com