tangs clowns and damsels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smonkey15

Aquarium Advice Freak
hey, i have my yellow tang and yellow tail damsel in a quarantine tank due to parasites. its been about 5 weeks now. i want to get a mated pair of maroon clown fish and i have heard that because of the aggressiveness of certain fish its best to put the most aggressive in last. its my understanding that maroon clowns and yellow tangs and damsels are all about equal in aggressiveness(very calm damsel, is buddies with my tang). should i go and get the clowns and put them in the main tank before i return my tang and damsel, or those first then the clowns? what order should i do it?

Myself, I would let the Tang and Damsel settle back in for a week or three before I let the Maroons in. Especially after parasites, I wouldn't want to stress the tang immediatly. So, IMHO, I think I would get the two back in the display tank for a little while, then add the Maroons a little down the road.

HTH

:hat:

it goes without saying that any new additions should be quarantined for at least 2 weeks- enough time for the tang and damsel to get settled in the main while the clowns are in the qt.

ciao!

I have the exact set up that you are talking about and after the quarantine but they are all get along great. I would let the tang in first to establish its grounds. Also do you have a bubble tip anomie for the clowns it would be like a place to call there own. 0X

I have a similar setup. I just introduced a yellow tang yesterday that has a clown fish, blue damsel, and a 3 striped damsel, which is aggressive and all over the tang. Today I noticed damage to his fins from the damsel nipping at him. The tang is basically isolated in one corner/side of the tank and seems to be scared to venture far, it doesn't seem to be aggressive at all. Is this something to worry about or will they settle this out eventually.

i would personally remove the damsel and either give it back to the fish store or find someone else who wants it

Tangs love to swim so if he isnt swimming you know something is not right

My tang is doing much better now, it seemed to just a matter of the fish adjusting. The tang is swimming around and the damsel doesn't harass it as much anymore. Looks like they worked it out all on their own. :D

are tangs and damsels ususally buddies cuz my yelow tail damsel is good buds with my yellow eyed tang and my yellow tail wont let anyone in his little house in the rocks but wehn i stick my hand in to do maitnance he shares it with my tang and he swims around with him just a question.
Mr.Marine

I have 4 yellow tailed and juvenile Naso Tang. I call the Tang Princess because of her regal presence. She is like the den mother of the tank. Everyone tolerates her very well and she likes to tag along with everyone in the tank. I also have a few Banggai and a couple of Ocellaris. Sometimes when two of the damsels square off, she swims right in-between them and stops them cold. All of the damsels tolerate her very well.

Back
Top Bottom