Tangs eating seaweed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Damarferg

Aquarium Advice Freak
Do I really need to buy seaweed for tangs?

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

yes it's a big part of there diet
you can get freeze dried seaweed in grocery store in the Asian section

Do you know what's the difference from a regular green seaweed to red

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

My tangs are HUGE fans of seaweed. They need both algae as well as other foods to be healthy and happy. I feed on average, daily, about 12 2 inch pieces. Yes, 12. I have 4 tangs and they rip that seaweed apart like they have never eaten before. lol

I feed a sheet 10x10" daily for 6 full grown tangs. They need that bulk as there isn't that much nutrition in seaweed. They also accept meaty foods which they also get once a day. No flakes.
It has been mentioned that I have the fattest tangs anyone has ever seen. It has been intentional as I believe it is a part of the key to keeping them healthy and calm.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

A lot of times in LFS I see what appears to be lettuce in the tanks? Is that simply romaine lettuce on a clip? Does leaving nori and this "lettuce" in the tank affect nitrates and throw off any other levels?

Mine love lettuce, but I think the nori has more nutrition. No, it has to break down and start to rot before it adds appreciable nitrogen to the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom