Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-19-2011, 12:02 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have heard of that as well. If you can justify a small tang, a hippo would be my last choice. They are one of the ones that are most prone to stress related illness.

Old 12-19-2011, 01:05 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

None, unfortunately. Even the smallest tangs need a 75 Gallon minimum.

As for a blue hippo tang in there, I vote no. That's not fair to the fish.

Old 12-19-2011, 01:19 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Just picked up a real small sail fin tang from my lfs my tank is a 24 cube he said that it's fine when he gets to big it's a good thing because he's healthy and lived he says when he gets to big bring him back and trade him in for a small one !! He's happy and at least I know I can take care of him u should see the people buying fish when I was there a guy picked up a hippo and a clown for a 10 gal tank with no filter just live rock and a light !! Did not know what cycling means !!! I told him thell be dead by Monday !!!! So they sold him some bio starter anyway don't let ur tank size limit you in what u want when they outgrow it u just have to have no attachment and replace the fish for a smaller one
Old 12-19-2011, 01:37 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithcinema
Just picked up a real small sail fin tang from my lfs my tank is a 24 cube he said that it's fine when he gets to big it's a good thing because he's healthy and lived he says when he gets to big bring him back and trade him in for a small one !! He's happy and at least I know I can take care of him u should see the people buying fish when I was there a guy picked up a hippo and a clown for a 10 gal tank with no filter just live rock and a light !! Did not know what cycling means !!! I told him thell be dead by Monday !!!! So they sold him some bio starter anyway don't let ur tank size limit you in what u want when they outgrow it u just have to have no attachment and replace the fish for a smaller one
Ya problem is you will get attatched to that fish and wont give it back. Its not your fault its just natural
Old 12-19-2011, 02:37 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithcinema View Post

We need to put that salesman for salesman of the year. He must be the top salesman in the store since most of the fish will have a miserable shortened life. I hope you reconsider keeping the tang and get something more appropriate for your tank. Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Sailfin Tang, Desjardini now a sailfin is suppose to be in a 180 gallon tank and you have it in something that is less than 1/8 that size
Old 12-19-2011, 02:41 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithcinema View Post
Dude, really? A sailfin for a 24? Are you crazy? Not only should that fish be in a tank 7 or 8 times that size, but its a semi aggressive fish as a bonus.

I'd like to see that salesman given the same treatment he's arranged for that fish to have (and I've used the metaphor before). Let him life his life alone...in a bathroom...where the toilet doesn't flush.
caulastrea, green star polyps, palythoa, zoas
Old 12-19-2011, 02:45 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithcinema
Hahaha thats funny, because your sail fin will be dead by monday in that size tank. Give it to a better home
Old 12-19-2011, 03:23 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

How do u figure it's a inch big when he's 3in I'll bring him back for another one !! Im not keeping a 18" fish in a 24 they don't grow that quick ill have him at least a year
Old 12-19-2011, 03:27 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

You wont want to bring him back, and even if he is 2" a 24 gallon tank is too small. A JUVENILE tang can be kept in a 75 gallon. You need to read this

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/Surg...ilfin-Tang.php
Old 12-19-2011, 03:32 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

No no no no no.

No tangs at all in there.

I was in my LFS yesterday and there was a guy asking if he could put 1 in a red sea max 130.

Unlike most LFS mine actually care about the welfare of the livestock they sell and the boss told him in no uncertain terms if he wants tangs he needs a 6ft tank minimum.

Why don't people research before they buy tanks or fish.

Put a tang in your 55 and it will have ich before it even hits the water.

Tags
55 gallon, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com