Tangs for 55 Gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Smithcinema said:
Tank is a column tank 24x24 by 36 in high all lead Crystal glass clear as acrylic but heavy as stone
20 gal bio balls
2 fluval g6
Purgen reactor
Chemi pure reactor
Carbon reactor
Way over sized protein skimmer
Fluval fx5
3 1400 korilas wave maker
never a traceable nitrate ever

Thats little to no space at all for the tangs. I know I'm not one to talk about being overstocked since I am but my fishes size is Maxed out at 2-3".

It's the cruel world of pets !!! fish in tiny tanks , birds in cages, rabbits in 10 gal tanks my lfs says that 85 percent of fish that leave his store are dead within a week it's the way it is if my sailfin last the year at least he lived !! Hope he survives the next owner the reason Hawaii is banning fish harvesting is out of every 100 fish caught 20 make it to a store !!! And my lfs say 85 percent die in a week so it erks me when people act like saints !! If u want to educate and preserve DON'T BUY FISH for me it's for looks people come to my house and see a custom column tank with pretty fish and coral bottom line if u like a fish buy it !! If he out grows ur tank get rid of it and get a pretty new one

85% of the fish that leave his store are dead in a week because he only cares about making money, not if the fish survives. They die because he tells people to put fish that need 6-10 feet of swimming room in a 24 inch tank. And I am sure he tells everyone that their water is just fine and that they are ready for fish, only to have the person come back a week later because their fish died of NH4 poisoning; and then proceeds to tell them to buy more fish and that will get the cycle to continue.

I would say more about your ability to be taught and take advice from people that know what they are actually talking about, but I feel its pretty much pointless at this point. (mods if that was a bit too blunt feel free to delete it, as this is kinda turning into a poo throwing contest.)

We're all cruel me included for even taking these animals from the ocean and using them as display pieces sure we take care of them and do all we can but that's still not right but it sure is the best hobby

Patrick93 said:
We're all cruel me included for even taking these animals from the ocean and using them as display pieces sure we take care of them and do all we can but that's still not right but it sure is the best hobby

Personally, I get tank raised fish and aqua cultures corals whenever possible.

Personally, I get tank raised fish and aqua cultures corals whenever possible.

I do the same. If I knew then what I know now, I would have also used that faux live rock for as much of my setup as possible, as opposed to the liverock that I filled my tank with.

Unfortunately a large part of our hobby does include the rape of the natural earth, as long as non aquacultured corals are sold, and non-tank-raised fish are sold. We can only hope that one day we can have a self-sustaining hobby...because if not, one day there may not be corals to purchase, see in the wild, or otherwise in existence.

i think that 1 tang (tomani or kole) would be fine in a 55, but many people will disagree with me

Tangs are known to cover large areas of the reef, not just a tiny spot. They get sick and die when in a too confined space. They need holes to hide and swim thru. They only stay small in a small tank because they are stunted. Fishing causes more depletion of fish stocks than our hobby even comes close to, but when you keep a animal under your care, you are responsible for it, period. A royal gramma thinks a rock is a kingdom...a tang thinks 55 gallons is a cage.

Tangs are known to cover large areas of the reef, not just a tiny spot. They get sick and die when in a too confined space. They need holes to hide and swim thru. They only stay small in a small tank because they are stunted. Fishing causes more depletion of fish stocks than our hobby even comes close to, but when you keep a animal under your care, you are responsible for it, period. A royal gramma thinks a rock is a kingdom...a tang thinks 55 gallons is a cage.

very well said

Just to sum it all up...

No tangs in a 55 Gallon.

All fishkeeping is technically creul, depending on your ethical stand point.

If you still want to try it, let us know how it is in five years and see if the fish is still living.

bruinsbro1997 said:
Just to sum it all up...

No tangs in a 55 Gallon.

All fishkeeping is technically creul, depending on your ethical stand point.

If you still want to try it, let us know how it is in five years and see if the fish is still living.

Tomini tang can do in a 55g since it maxes out at 6".

Ibrahim said:
Tomini tang can do in a 55g since it maxes out at 6".

Says who? A website lol? Last time I checked tank size is not only determined by fish size but the swimming behavior and other stuff last time I checked

Ibrahim said:
You're right. It grows to be 48" and is not suited for home aquaria.

Unfortunately we would need really large tank to make fish happy lol a 6 foot tank probably feels like a cage to a tang as well I mean what right do we have to say what fish belong in what size tank there living creatures they want freedom and space lol were all cruel ppl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom