Tangs for 55 Gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a 24 gal tank 24 wide it's 90 gal and I am not a fan of big fish I cycle my fish every year small fish has much better color than adult fish except for angles they look better with age !! The sail fin is as happy as can be !!

Leighton79 said:
No no no no no.

No tangs at all in there.

I was in my LFS yesterday and there was a guy asking if he could put 1 in a red sea max 130.

Unlike most LFS mine actually care about the welfare of the livestock they sell and the boss told him in no uncertain terms if he wants tangs he needs a 6ft tank minimum.

Why don't people research before they buy tanks or fish.

Put a tang in your 55 and it will have ich before it even hits the water.

I agree.

Smithcinema said:
Not a 24 gal tank 24 wide it's 90 gal and I am not a fan of big fish I cycle my fish every year small fish has much better color than adult fish except for angles they look better with age !! The sail fin is as happy as can be !!

90 gal is still tiny, but at least it isnt a 24!!

Also, could you tell us how you know that the tang is, "happy as can be." ?
It really isnt

Actually, I bought 2 hippos and a school of damsels 2 months ago. IMO, the white spots really bring out the blues

Ah. A 90g makes a lot more sense - still too small, but certainly better than the tiny thing I thought you were talking about.

Now I only think you're moderately irresponsible, rather than incredibly so ;)

bighabeeb said:
Ah. A 90g makes a lot more sense - still too small, but certainly better than the tiny thing I thought you were talking about.

Now I only think you're moderately irresponsible, rather than incredibly so ;)

Better then a 24
I agree. LOL

I don't think he's irresponsible at all if it's in a 90g. A 1" fish in a 48" tank isn't overstocked. I still don't think it's in a 90g. He said 24 cube not wide so.......

I suppose it all depends. Personally I don't put a lot of faith in the "I'll remove it when it gets bigger" scenario, primarily because I've tried to catch fish in my tank before and never been able to (I currently have one firefish beating the [moderator edit] out of another, randomly, and have had zero luck catching either one).

But hey, that's just me, I suppose others have had more success at it. For me, I don't add fish that are going go outlive my tank size.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think he's irresponsible at all if it's in a 90g. A 1" fish in a 48" tank isn't overstocked. I still don't think it's in a 90g. He said 24 cube not wide so.......

what he was saying is a 90 gallon cube I am pretty sure. which means 24"x24"x36" (not sure if that's 36" high or long) which in my opinion is too small for tangs. Its not so much gallons they need, but lateral swimming room; that's why most of the time you see tank size for tangs listed in feet and not gallons.

Last edited:
Yea I have to agree with yetee. Its kinda like sharks or rays - they may give a gallon requirement, but a real tall skinny tank wouldn't work for them...so going strictly by gallonage (if that's a word) isn't always the best way...though its a decent guideline to start with at least.

As I mentioned, I am not personally a big fan of buying a fish that your tank is too small to house when it reaches maturity. Unless you're one of those uber-responsible types who will REALLY get it out when the time is right and such. Seen to many people say things like that with the best of intentions, and then realize that catching that fish in their stocked reef tank is going to be a big pain in the neck - so they just plow on ahead with trying to keep that fish alive...

And it may live...but not in a healthy or happy manner. I refer back to my example of living in a bathroom as a person - sure, you could do it, but would you want to?

Do what works best for you. If your not having any problems with the fish in its current living conditions then who is getting hurt? Your not thinking clear if you think the tang will be alright forever, but currently no harm done.

Hinds04 said:
I have heard of that as well. If you can justify a small tang, a hippo would be my last choice. They are one of the ones that are most prone to stress related illness.

I hear ya on he stress related illnesses but if u keep ur water quality excellent and always keep algae on the clip....they will get passed it. I have a 75/30 sump and we have a small hippo.

We got her and she developed ich--fair/medium case and she worked thru it. Even tho I had lots of suggestions to pull her and do a freshwater dip and this and that....I didn't do any of that. Just made sure she was as comfortable as she cud b with good water and now she Lks Grt.

Point is that she's a good beautiful fish now and I'm glad to have her. Give the hippos a chance but u have to rly keep ur water quality high! :)

If I was to give an opinion on ur specific question.....have to agree with most. Stay away from the tangs for now. Theres so many other gorgeous fish that wud make a better fit! Less finicky.

Attachments

• image-774554347.jpg
    image-774554347.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 94
This is a disturbing thread.

Why are you in this hobby if you're not going to put the fish first? One of the reasons we keep fish is to preserve them and to educate others. Not only are you putting the individual fish at risk, but the others in your tank. What you're not getting is that you WILL have a problem in the future and you WON'T want to give the sailfin back.

If I told my LFS that I wanted a sailfin for a 24 cube, she'd ban me from the store for a month after kicking my butt!

We give this advice from a place of knowledge and experience NOT to crush your dreams.

No one wants to spend all this money on equipment, livestock, rock, etc, only to have their tank crash one day because they made a foolish impulse buy.

Sorry to be so negative, but you've struck a nerve.

Disclaimer: I have a Yellow tang, Hippo and a Kole in my 6ft 125gal.

Just a weird statement to say !! Putting the fish first , preserve and educate did u not take these fish out of the ocean and put them in a tiny 6foot fish tank that you probably only feed once a day !! Thats why after jan 1 you will not be buying any fish out of Hawaii because the government will be banning it !! I have 2 hippos ,yellow tang ,and the sailfin in a 24in wide tank with top of the line filtration not a basic sand sump and some live rock !! My fish are healthier then most others out there my tank never had any traceable nitrates or phosphates all because of the custom filter system and because of the filtration I can feed them 3 times a day and trust me they are happy !! In the ocean they eat all day long so maybee you are educating future kids why not to get a saltwater aquarium because it's cruel ..

Smithcinema said:
Just a weird statement to say !! Putting the fish first , preserve and educate did u not take these fish out of the ocean and put them in a tiny 6foot fish tank that you probably only feed once a day !! Thats why after jan 1 you will not be buying any fish out of Hawaii because the government will be banning it !! I have 2 hippos ,yellow tang ,and the sailfin in a 24in wide tank with top of the line filtration not a basic sand sump and some live rock !! My fish are healthier then most others out there my tank never had any traceable nitrates or phosphates all because of the custom filter system and because of the filtration I can feed them 3 times a day and trust me they are happy !! In the ocean they eat all day long so maybee you are educating future kids why not to get a saltwater aquarium because it's cruel ..

No its cruel to put big fish in small tanks. It kinda gets on my nerves when someone says "trust me, my fish are happy".
Do your fish speak to you? They tell you how they feel about being taken out of a huge ocean and put in a tank too small for them? Truth is, nobody knows if their fish are happy or not and i assure you that a sailfin tang wont be happy in a 90 gallon for long, if ever.

It's the cruel world of pets !!! fish in tiny tanks , birds in cages, rabbits in 10 gal tanks my lfs says that 85 percent of fish that leave his store are dead within a week it's the way it is if my sailfin last the year at least he lived !! Hope he survives the next owner the reason Hawaii is banning fish harvesting is out of every 100 fish caught 20 make it to a store !!! And my lfs say 85 percent die in a week so it erks me when people act like saints !! If u want to educate and preserve DON'T BUY FISH for me it's for looks people come to my house and see a custom column tank with pretty fish and coral bottom line if u like a fish buy it !! If he out grows ur tank get rid of it and get a pretty new one

Smithcinema said:
It's the cruel world of pets !!! fish in tiny tanks , birds in cages, rabbits in 10 gal tanks my lfs says that 85 percent of fish that leave his store are dead within a week it's the way it is if my sailfin last the year at least he lived !! Hope he survives the next owner the reason Hawaii is banning fish harvesting is out of every 100 fish caught 20 make it to a store !!! And my lfs say 85 percent die in a week so it erks me when people act like saints !! If u want to educate and preserve DON'T BUY FISH for me it's for looks people come to my house and see a custom column tank with pretty fish and coral bottom line if u like a fish buy it !! If he out grows ur tank get rid of it and get a pretty new one

So since everyone else is treating animals cruelly it justifies the fact that you do it too? And you just stated it's a column tank so with 4 tangs there is no swimming room for them at all.

Smithcinema said:

You see, putting it into a smaller tank makes the survival rate EVEN LOWER.

Tank is a column tank 24x24 by 36 in high all lead Crystal glass clear as acrylic but heavy as stone
20 gal bio balls
2 fluval g6
Purgen reactor
Chemi pure reactor
Carbon reactor
Way over sized protein skimmer
Fluval fx5
3 1400 korilas wave maker
never a traceable nitrate ever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back