Tangs in 4ft tank(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr. D

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have been on/following AA for a few months now and know a good amount of people feel very strongly about tangs on here and wanted to get some "tang police" input, lol ;)

My LFS has a gorgeous display tank that is 4ft long but it is 225 I think, not sure, the employee said around there. But has a blue hippo tang in there with a few other fish.

I believe it is
4'x4' and very tall i would guess around 30"

Do you feel a tang is too large for a tank like that?

I agree most tangs need a six foot tank.. With that said that tank may be ok, if the rock work is set up that basically the fish can keep swimming forward in a large circle.

With those dimensions that is roughly a 300 gallon tank. As for how that translates to happy tangs, I have no clue. My understanding is that it is more important to have the horizontal space rather than the extra volume. While it may work for NASCAR drivers I don't think that tangs will appreciate the ability to go in circles rather than long distances. :)

Also as far as a straight line swimming room diagonal corner to corner would be right around 5 1/2 ft that they could swim.

Had to bust out high school geometry for that one lol.

Hahaha... Yeah fish looks tiny in there and he's about 5yrs old

Some tangs would be better suited for that tank than others. Multiple Yellow, Kole, Purple, Scopus...tangs like these would work fine. I would just want to stay away from Sohal, Clown, Powder Blue...tangs like this.

Back
Top Bottom