Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-15-2004, 11:24 AM   #11
Sam
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to Sam
I know you are dying to get another one, but remember that they do not stay small for long I have a Naso Tang in my 135 (I call her Princess) as she rules the tank Anyway she is now about 7+ inches, having doubled in size in less than a year. Very active swimmer, as are all tangs. Your choice, you can take your chances with the yellow and just keep an eye on territorial behavior. However you should accept that you may have to return one or separate them. Good luck with whatever you decide. Cheers 8)

Me
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 05:20 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
Ok you guys!! your not helping convince me that I NEED another one!!!
Well, I do appreciate the honesty though. I guess I will not buy another one and just get other cool fish. After all I do like my regal and want her to be happy - and that she is now so I should not press the issue....
SO, now that no more tangs in the picture, what other fish are cool? I dont really like angels, havent had good luck with bleenies(lawnmower)....what others are cool and why?

Old 10-15-2004, 05:32 PM   #13
Sam
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well I have somewhat of the same dilemma you face. I have a reef setup and even though I only have some shrooms and a blastomussa in there now, I do plan to add other corals and an anemone or two. While I would love to have had a long nose, or an auriga butterfly fish, I can't. Too I would have loved to have a flame angel, but I can't. What I have been looking at that are compatible with a reef set up are:

Mandarin - beautiful but need lots of LR for food. My tank is now a year old
Wrasse - one or more of a flasher variety
Black cap basslet or a Royal Gramma
Red or Blue Starfish
Firefish
I always have to see what is compatible with my corals, snails and my cleaner shrimp. Paid too much for them to be dessert.

Me
Old 10-15-2004, 06:48 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
How about a Butterfly? I have 2 Heni's, a ton of personality and no aggression issues whatsoever.
Old 10-15-2004, 07:43 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I thought butterfly's were bad for a reef setup. If they are ok to have please correct me, as it would be a bueatiful addition to my tank

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
clowninround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 04:22 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

The Heniochus diphreutes, is not a coral picker. The hard part is making sure it is the right species.
Very hearty too.
Old 10-16-2004, 10:00 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ya, Qshark makes a good point. The Heniochus Butterfly is very beautiful, adn would make a nice addition to your tank. You also would not have to worry about the aggression.
Old 10-16-2004, 12:06 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

At one time I had a naso tang-sail fin tang -yellow tang and a unicorn tang, no problems there ,you have to go with different tangs, in other words you cant put two nasa or two sail fins or ect ,they will fight, the only exception is yellow tangs
as you will see in store you can more then one as long as you have at least 5 or more other then that you should be fine, keep in mind there are tangs that should be added in as a last fish as they will not allow any other fish to be added
, yellow tang-soho tang-purple tang and in some cases sailfin tang should be added last
I have a sailfin that I still have, the others I had to give away as they got so big I could not keep them in my 125 gal any more so I gave them to a budy who has a 400 gal tank
anyway my sail fin as become so mean that he has killed any medium to large fish I have put in there, list of fish he killed, adult emporer angel-hog fish-coral beauty angel-flame angel
I dont want to get rid of my sailfin since I've had him for several years so I have decided to wait a bit and when I am ready I will get a few fish I want one of them being a soho tang which is the king of nasty of tangs and will take over the tank there for I wont have to worry about the salfin bothering the new fish as he will be going threw training camp with the king soho and the new fish will be fine
Old 10-18-2004, 08:50 AM   #19
Sam
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would double check on the Heni in a reef system. That is a 'proceed with caution' SPS/LPS I think is a part of their natural diet,so if you have a reef set up, the recommendation is to stay away from all butterflys, YMMV, this is just based on all of the information I have read on them

Me
Old 10-18-2004, 11:38 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

There are 2 very similar types of Heni's, you just need to make sure you are getting the right species. The Heniochus diphreutes (which I have) is more of a plankton eater and should not bother coral. The Heni D will have a smaller mouth.
The Heniochus acuminatus can be a coral picker. Here is more info on IDing them.
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/heniochu.htm
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/henifaqs.htm

Tags
tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com