Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-14-2004, 04:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
tangs....love em..

I have a 100 gallon with 1 false perc, 1 yellow tailed damsel (very nice fish to by the way), 1 velvet dottieback, and 1 regal tang (that is about 2 inches long). the tang has been in there with the dottieback for only about 3 months now.
My question is can I add another tang and what kind? Should I put 2 other tangs in with the regal at the same time? If there is going to be major aggression i dont want to chance it and will go with another fish. I love my tang and want to protect him.
Thanks

Old 10-14-2004, 05:08 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Hard to tell with the agression, depends on the new fish. Regals are not particularly aggresive, especially when young. With Tangs, its kind of pot luck with the aggressivness.
You could put a Yellow, Kole Eye or maybe a Powder Blue in there.
Its the right sequence with the more aggessive fish going last
Good luck!!

Old 10-14-2004, 05:16 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well I just want one more tang if possible. i would LIKE a powder blue but was told that this would not be a good idea? I may just go with a yellow tang.
Also i want to add a firefish i think and maybe one to two other small fish. I have 4 total fish now and would like about 2-3 more....that would give me the max given that the tangs will grow into the tank in the next few years...(not that it matters but I have a 40 gallon sump/fuge so technically speaking I have a 140 gallon tank). BUT i dont want to max it out either...
Old 10-14-2004, 05:26 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Actually, I mean't one of the 3.
Old 10-14-2004, 06:45 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

yeah I took it that way...sorry I think we confused each other!! I dont know if I want to take a chance or not. I think I will consider a yellow...
Do you have a regal and pwder blue together...Anyone??
Old 10-15-2004, 10:00 AM   #6
Sam
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to Sam
IMHO You would be taking your chances with two tangs in a tank that size. More that the actual capacity of your system (tank and fuge) these fish are active swimmers and need a lot of room. Minimum size is usually 1 in a tank of about 90-110G. Keep in mind that Powder Blue is more Ich prone than others. Meaning it is an easily stressed tang. Yellows are one of the more aggressive of the Tangs, so he may definitely have a problem with sharing his space with a cousin. I would stick to just the one tang in the tank. HTH 8)

Me
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 10:56 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sam
not to be aurumentative, but I had always heard that the Regal was the most ick prone??? not that it matters really....anyway the ONLY reason Im considering another tang is its a 100 gallon tank but is 5 ft long so this is a lot of room per say as far as swimming. Every time I think about this, I keep thinking I may just get some really pretty docile fish and be done with it....I really like my regal and he seems happy with his friends now....
Old 10-15-2004, 11:01 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sam is right about the powder blue being the most ich prone. I hate it too, I really want to get one in a future, bigger tank.
Old 10-15-2004, 11:09 AM   #9
Sam
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to Sam
Fishman, No offense taken, we are all just sharing opinions and advice based on our experience. You ultimately have to make the decision you are most comfortable with. You may want to also see the fish profile section, there is a write up there on the PB. Some good information on this one and on tangs in general. HTH 8)

Me
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 11:19 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah the more I read and think about it, I think the powder blue idea is out...bummed!!what would you guys think about the yellow tang then?? They are most agressive and would be adding him last....would there be an issue? I would buy one thats small as my regal is still a baby as well...

Tags
tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com