Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-15-2017, 10:34 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Tangs mysterious death!

I've had my tank up for 5 months. It's a 75 gallon....water checked by LFS and myself. Currently stocked with 90lbs of live rock...2 chromis, 2 clowns. I'm trying to get a Tomini Tang. I've tried 2. Both hid for the first 2 days and started coming out and act normal for 4 days. Unfortunately, that's when I notice my Chromis hovering around it. Plus, I've added Nori at this point. Both times after a week I wake up to the Nori gone and the Tangs dead. I don't know if it's the Chromis causing stress and the addition of Nori really bringing it to a boiling point or the Nori is bad. Any answers? I don't want to kill another one.

Old 08-15-2017, 11:03 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sorry for the losses. Tangs are just tough to keep alive- perhaps try to keep one that you like at the lfs on hold, if they will allow, and watch it eat and how it acts. Go in every couple days to observe it. Then once you buy it setup a quarantine tank so he is isolated and you can continue to feed and observe, or treat if needed, before adding it to your main tank. For what it's worth the tomini tang is the only one I have been able to keep alive. I have tried several yellow, blue, and sailfin tangs without success. Maybe a more experienced tang keeper will have better advice.

Old 08-15-2017, 11:22 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds like a aggression issue, also the only suitable tang for a 75g is the bristletooth species. I have a yellow eye and it's doing great, my tank has been up for two years now though. Personally I would sacrifice a all nighter, throw some nori in and get a red flashlight ready and watch

10g saltwater
cgthebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 12:51 PM   #4

Actually, both of these guys were held 30 days and in my QT. I think it's the Chromis. Thanks!
Old 08-15-2017, 12:55 PM   #5

The Tomini is a Bristle Tooth. I agree it's going to be an all nighter, but that would take getting another Tomini. It's probably best to yank the Chromis. They were hovering and following both Tominis araound. I don't suppose they wanted to be friends.
Old 08-15-2017, 01:18 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh whoops, my bad. For some reason I thought a sailfin was a tommi, sorry bout that. When I add new fish, I always pull out my clowns and sixline for a week or two and allow the new fish to become acclimated to the tank. By the time i add them in, they get along great

10g saltwater
cgthebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 02:35 PM   #7
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I have had my tangs for many years and I don't think the chromis had anything tom do with it. Tangs are as mean as it gets and they can very well take care of themselves. I don't have an idea what caused it but I don't think aggression is the answer.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 03:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58 View Post
I have had my tangs for many years and I don't think the chromis had anything tom do with it. Tangs are as mean as it gets and they can very well take care of themselves. I don't have an idea what caused it but I don't think aggression is the answer.
That's my thought, but they would hover over the Tangs and follow them everywhere. I'm thinking they caused stress? Could it be the sea salad? On both my tries they both had a clip of seaweed and the seaweed was gone and the Tangs dead. I'm at a loss. Both were happy healthy b4 bed. Do I have something in my rock? Thanks.
Old 08-15-2017, 03:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgthebeast View Post
Oh whoops, my bad. For some reason I thought a sailfin was a tommi, sorry bout that. When I add new fish, I always pull out my clowns and sixline for a week or two and allow the new fish to become acclimated to the tank. By the time i add them in, they get along great
No worries! Thanks for the advice.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:13 PM   #10
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Can you tell us more about the system? How long did each fish last in the tank? How were they acclimated to the system?

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
death, eat, rio, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com