Tangs mysterious death!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jpdeluca18

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've had my tank up for 5 months. It's a 75 gallon....water checked by LFS and myself. Currently stocked with 90lbs of live rock...2 chromis, 2 clowns. I'm trying to get a Tomini Tang. I've tried 2. Both hid for the first 2 days and started coming out and act normal for 4 days. Unfortunately, that's when I notice my Chromis hovering around it. Plus, I've added Nori at this point. Both times after a week I wake up to the Nori gone and the Tangs dead. I don't know if it's the Chromis causing stress and the addition of Nori really bringing it to a boiling point or the Nori is bad. Any answers? I don't want to kill another one.

Sorry for the losses. Tangs are just tough to keep alive- perhaps try to keep one that you like at the lfs on hold, if they will allow, and watch it eat and how it acts. Go in every couple days to observe it. Then once you buy it setup a quarantine tank so he is isolated and you can continue to feed and observe, or treat if needed, before adding it to your main tank. For what it's worth the tomini tang is the only one I have been able to keep alive. I have tried several yellow, blue, and sailfin tangs without success. Maybe a more experienced tang keeper will have better advice.

Sounds like a aggression issue, also the only suitable tang for a 75g is the bristletooth species. I have a yellow eye and it's doing great, my tank has been up for two years now though. Personally I would sacrifice a all nighter, throw some nori in and get a red flashlight ready and watch

Actually, both of these guys were held 30 days and in my QT. I think it's the Chromis. Thanks!

The Tomini is a Bristle Tooth. I agree it's going to be an all nighter, but that would take getting another Tomini. It's probably best to yank the Chromis. They were hovering and following both Tominis araound. I don't suppose they wanted to be friends.

Oh whoops, my bad. For some reason I thought a sailfin was a tommi, sorry bout that. When I add new fish, I always pull out my clowns and sixline for a week or two and allow the new fish to become acclimated to the tank. By the time i add them in, they get along great

I have had my tangs for many years and I don't think the chromis had anything tom do with it. Tangs are as mean as it gets and they can very well take care of themselves. I don't have an idea what caused it but I don't think aggression is the answer.

I have had my tangs for many years and I don't think the chromis had anything tom do with it. Tangs are as mean as it gets and they can very well take care of themselves. I don't have an idea what caused it but I don't think aggression is the answer.

That's my thought, but they would hover over the Tangs and follow them everywhere. I'm thinking they caused stress? Could it be the sea salad? On both my tries they both had a clip of seaweed and the seaweed was gone and the Tangs dead. I'm at a loss. Both were happy healthy b4 bed. Do I have something in my rock? Thanks.

Oh whoops, my bad. For some reason I thought a sailfin was a tommi, sorry bout that. When I add new fish, I always pull out my clowns and sixline for a week or two and allow the new fish to become acclimated to the tank. By the time i add them in, they get along great

No worries! Thanks for the advice.

Can you tell us more about the system? How long did each fish last in the tank? How were they acclimated to the system?

75 gallon with a pro clear RS 200 sump, skimmer. Nrw orbit pro lighting. The tank contents was from my old 100 that was left to fallow about 6 months with about 90 of live rock. I have my LFS check my water once a week and I do it daily. Last problem was a small drop in Ph. Each fish lasted 7 days. Same thing. They came out active after 2 days and the Chromis hovered over them everywhere. I also don't ask how ended up hanging Nori on the 6th day with both. They were fine before bed both times and I woke up to them dead and the Nori gone. Both fish each time had no signs of disease no seeable bruises. What they really have in common is the Nori was from the same batch and the Chromis. I'm at a loss. I've got 2,clowns, 2 Chromis and my crabs left.

My last tank was fish only, and it was bigger and I only kept basic Fish and no problems. Is it safe to say that most of the Tangs, Angels, etc are just hit or miss?

Fish like tangs and angels are easily stressed, which then makes them susceptible to disease like ich.
First, don't count pH as a problem. It will go up and down as the day progresses. As long as you have movement at the top of your tank you're fine.
You only fed the tangs nori on the 6th day? What were they eating before that?
How many fish were being added in one sitting? Was the system cycled after it was fallow for all that time?

Fish like tangs and angels are easily stressed, which then makes them susceptible to disease like ich.
First, don't count pH as a problem. It will go up and down as the day progresses. As long as you have movement at the top of your tank you're fine.
You only fed the tangs nori on the 6th day? What were they eating before that?
How many fish were being added in one sitting? Was the system cycled after it was fallow for all that time?

Yes on the Nori. I've been very anal with them. I didn't reach in the tank until I felt they were at ease. Both Tangs were eating Mysis and the LFS had them feeding flake. Cycling is another issue. I've never had what I call a cycle. This tank had great tests week one. I don't know if it was because I started with About 60lbs live rock that came out of a well established tank and 30 from the LFS. The Chromis were added the first week and the 2 clowns at the 1 month mark. The first tang was probably at 4 months. It does bother me that this Tank has never seen a load higher than 5 fish. I'm at a loss. My only experience with Tangs are the yellow and they are typically my best fish. I switched to the tomini due to the size of my tank. I just find it strange that both ate a full sheet of the same Nori and then died. Probably a huge mistake, but I picked up the Nori from a Petsmart when I got my Mysis.

IME, clowns are much more aggressive than chromis, the only fish ive seen chromis pick on is other chromis- def not a larger and typically more aggressive fish- but I guess weirder things have happened. I suppose it could be you have a tainted batch of nori but that also seems pretty far fetched.

IME, clowns are much more aggressive than chromis, the only fish ive seen chromis pick on is other chromis- def not a larger and typically more aggressive fish- but I guess weirder things have happened. I suppose it could be you have a tainted batch of nori but that also seems pretty far fetched.

I know that's what everyone says about the Chromis, but it was very strange to watch the literally follow the Tangs around at all times. They have established a territory too. I never have had a Tomini, but it was very mellow. I'm tempted to throw a small yellow in there for a month and see what happens. I know a yellow wouldn't put up with it. They will kick butt.

Seriously though. I've heard it all from all tanks have ich keep the fish healthy to crazy food concoctions. Back in my day we waited 1yr before ever putting anything in there more than a damsel. Then, the Damsels came out and the other fish added. It seems to me that even though my tank is only 5 months I should wait it out another 7 regardless of what the LFS says, otherwise it seems like hit or miss.

In general chromis aren't aggressive, but will be to each other until the numbers mysteriously whittle down to one.
Still, only two clowns and two chromis in a 90 gallon system is way more room than anything would need in the 4 ft length of tank range. Unless you have yourself the napoleons of chromis I'd rule out aggression and look towards fish simply coming in Iill.

In general chromis aren't aggressive, but will be to each other until the numbers mysteriously whittle down to one.
Still, only two clowns and two chromis in a 90 gallon system is way more room than anything would need in the 4 ft length of tank range. Unless you have yourself the napoleons of chromis I'd rule out aggression and look towards fish simply coming in Iill.

I'm going to go with that. There is a kid and he talks too much and slipped out that Tomini's were 50/50. I think I'm going to work on coral and try again later down the road. Personally, I'm thinking the few fish the better on the reef setup.

Back
Top Bottom