Tank additions and questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gozetec02

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have made 3 new additions to my tank.

2 Oscilleris Clownfish
1 Banded Coral Shrimp

I switched on the light to catch any pods out and about but my banded coral shrimp was chasing the Clownfish and sometimes using those big pinchers to grab them making contact sometimes. This only happens if the clowns get near his territory which is under the sponge filter of the powerhead which the clownfish has kind of chosen as a "make-shift host".

Will getting an anemone help the clownfish?

What should I do about the Banded Coral Shrimp?

I also noticed that these little Clownfish (about an inch long) are really struggling against the current of my tank. I have a powerfilter on at full power and a skimmer on that tank plus the powerhead running at around 200 GPH. It seems like they get tired and they rest on the sand and then they get chased by the shrimp.

If I do get an anemone I only have regular 7500k coralife 20Watt lamp. But I have a 130 watt on order but will not be here till next week.

Will a bubble tip be ok for these clowns?

Will the anemone be ok for a week or two till the light comes in?

Tank parameters.
Nitrate 0-5.0
Nitrite 0.0
PH 8.2
Ammonia 0.25
Temp 81*

If the shrimp is going after the clowns, I would consider taking him back. He may actually get one someday.
There are other less aggressive and beautiful shrimp such as skunk cleaners or fire shrimp who will bother nothing.
JMO. :)

I agree with Qshark. Although many people keep CBS with no problems to fish, you may have a rebel on your hands. Best to bring it back and get something a bit more friendly. Cleaner shrimp and blood shrimp are great choices.

In my small 10 gallon tank are 2 clowns and a purple condylactis. The condy has over doubled in size and host both clowns ( a percula and one sebae - yes they do seem to get along). Condys are fairly easy and clowns will sometimes ( but not always) host in them

I would return the shrimp for a more non aggressive shrimp. My CBS does not bother anything. But if you intend to keep him, I would rearrange the area that the clowns are going to. :wink:

Well I returned the Coral Banded Shrimp and the Blue Damsel. I bought a Pepermint Shrimp. He is hiding under a rock but the clowns seem to be doing better.

Nice job! the peppermint shrimp will reside under the rock. They are not the most social of shrimp, but a nice addition to the tank. If you want something more visible down the road, get a cleaner shrimp. they love to be out in the open and are pretty active.

Yeah I noticed that about mine. My cleaner on the other hand will come right to me when I need to get in the tank. Odd that they aren't afraid like the rest of the crew. Pretty cool actually. My son really digs him, calls him jock from Nemo.

After my $140 lighting investment. A cleaner shrimp is not to far down the list.

1. 130 Watt Current USA CF with moonlight
2. Bubble Tip Anemone
3. Some Soft Coral
4. Cleaner Shrimp

Back
Top Bottom