Tank bottom Stand top Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luntiz

Aquarium Advice Freak
I realized that acrylic needs to be fully supported by all corners plus the complete bottom. Well the tank I bought does have a full top to support the full bottom of the tank but that peice of wood is extremely thin, i believe it is 1/8th of an inch. Should I worry?

The wood all around is 1/4 in and the actual part that holds the tank is only 1/8in thin. I think the bottom of the tank is probably bowing downwards because that piece of wood is so thin. Is there a problem or potential problem. It's hard to explain but i think you guys know what i'm trying to say. Too bad I only realized this right now...tank is full of rocks, water, etc.....ARGHHHHHHHH

Tank is kinda close to the wall so it'll be blurry. I can take a pic of the stand and you can just imagine a thin sheet of plywood holding the tank up. brb as i take the pix

Looks like a typical stand to me, but I don't own Acrylic...

I saw the topic and wanted to remind you that it's stand bottom, tank top. I know, my wife is blonde and all...

It's hard to tell from the pics, but if you're uneasy, cut a 2x4 and put it in the middle in the back of the stand. Sounds to me like that's what needs the support.

Looks like a stand made for an aquarium. The one thing you should always worry about is if the full bottom of the tank is making contact with the top of the stand. If the tank was a lot smaller than the diameter of the stand, then there could be an issue with the thinner diameter. Some people with acrylic tanks like to put cork board under the tank so the weight of the tank will compress the cork and have a solid well supported bottom of tank to top of stand. Glass tanks have a metal frame or plastic frame around bottom, so glass doesn't touch the stand. The frame does.

ps The middle of you tank would have to fail for you to have the tank fall through the the middle of the top of the stand. Measure how many inches you have around the stand that are framing the outside edges of the tank. My Clear Life tank has seams that are chemically made so the acrylic makes a bond as if it was seamless. There will be no one heavy area of the tank cause the weight will be pounds per square inch divided equally to the whole bottom surface of tank.

When I very first setup my 20 gallon because of the way it was and the HOB filter the front 1/4 inch of tank was hanging off my stand. it wasn't even half way filled before the black plastic frame around the top started to bow. i immedietly swung the hob filter to the front of the tank and pushed the tank completely onto the stand. it was an eye sore but was only temporary... not even a week.

I have a new 29 now and received a stand for free that was about 1/8" short on either side. While the sides don't need quite as much support as the front or back I decided to not even risk it and cut 2 pieces of plywood to make the top a little larger.

-brent

Back
Top Bottom