Tank-bred Ocellaris Clown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkW19

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm wanting one for my new tank, but the ones at my LFS are small (which I want - I want it to grow while in my tank), and very pale looking. I wanted a nice bright/deep orange colour, like this:-

lg_88039.jpg

However, my LFS assures me that all Ocellaris start off very light and pale, and develop their bright/deep orange colour (like in that pic) later on.

Is this true??

The ones that I have seen have been a bright orange from the beginning. I`m looking for one for my 29 gallon FOWLR tank.

I have one tankbred O clown with a wild caught O clown. The tankbred was orange to begin with when I got it and it has gotten oranger (is that a word?) but no major difference in color. I got the tankbred from my lfs. One of the managers breeds like 9 different kinds of clownfish (he has 90+ aquariums in his home) and I've seen pale ones before and he said they would darken up with age.

I also have two tankbred tomatos and I was talking to him about the differences in color cause I've seen tomatos that are a blood red color then some that are bright red. He said that it's mainly what type of tomato (where they are collected) and what they are fed. So it's probably the same with other clownfish.

HTH

Cool - thanks for the quick replies guys. I think I'll try and find a smallish one that's the "proper" colour for the start :)

Back
Top Bottom