Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-18-2004, 06:48 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

But look on the bright side, you got some free hermits to eat more detritus which will be lower 'trates which = less algae your fewer snails have to eat :P

Old 06-18-2004, 10:23 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
But look on the bright side, you got some free hermits to eat more detritus which will be lower 'trates which = less algae your fewer snails have to eat
That's true, but I have no idea what kind they are...They aren't the blue leg, red leg, or scarlet and that's the only kind I can tell by looking at them. So I have no idea how safe they will be in a reef tank, so i put them in my 55 fowlr

Old 06-20-2004, 01:32 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

What's the difference between red legged and scarlet? I thought they were the same... ???
Old 06-20-2004, 03:40 PM   #14
steve-s

Common red leg hermits (Cilibanarius sp.) and Scarlet Hermits (Paguristes cadenati) are completely different species. The scarlet hermit is easily identified by the bright yellow eye stalks. Paguristes cadenati is also much safer in a reef environment and less likely to damage corals in it's persuits of food and will not prey on snails as a rule. All hermits are opportunistic feeders and will kill when necessary so none should be considered completely reef safe. Some species are just more "reef friendly" if you will.

Cheers
Steve
Old 06-21-2004, 05:06 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I received my order from etropicals on saturday. The order was filled correctly, and everything was alive. I got a bunch of snails and crabs, I also got 1 shrimp. They already appear to have eaten 1/3 to 1/2 of the algae.

A few of the snails seem to want to hangout just barely above the water line, not sure if that is normal? but they seem to be fine once they move back down.

I can't complain, If you spend $60 they overnight ship for free, although it did cost me $10 to have it delivered on saturday, but its worth it to me, since that is the only day i can be home during the day.
Old 06-22-2004, 09:28 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

Some of my snails hang out at the water line and one even found his way into my skimmer box for my wet/dry
Old 06-22-2004, 10:38 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

I know this post is a bit late but all I did was go to the LFS and got 6 margarita snails and two dozen reef hemits for my clean-up crew. This was a lot more cost effective then ordering on-line and worked fine. On one order I made to liveaquaria I did have them throw in 12 scarlet cleaners for some color. It is amazing what people think of a red crab that eats left over crap in the tank. All of the company seems to love them. I did some research on the cleaner packs and thought they were way over-priced.
Old 08-04-2004, 05:49 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

I checked out that link to the cleaners...sounds like a good deal, but I've heard mixed things about people putting snails in a SW tank at all. Even if it's just one, they can reproduce asexually, and I've heard of one person who claims he had a breakout and stripped his tank clean of all algae growth in a little over a month. I definitely don't want this to happen. Maybe instead of risking a snail takeover, substitute a Chocolate-chip Star? I've heard they clean algae off glass and vertical surfaces.

--Aquabear

FW1-16g, 5 Zebra danios, 4 Pristella Tetras, 4 Black Skirt Tetras, 2 Gold Barbs, 1 Brush-nose Pleco
FW2-5g, 1 Baby Gold Marble Angel (raised from fry), 6 Zebra Danios
SW1-75g, (80# LR), Scarlett hermits, Turbo snails, Percula Clownfish (Gizmo), Oscellaris Clownfish (Whizzer), Indian Yellowtail Angelfish (Mikado), Royal Gramma (Orpheus), Black Sailfin Blenny (Casper), Yellow Tang (Pele), Racoon Butterflyfish (Raptor), Lyretail Anthia (Juliette)
FW3-30g, 2 mated Gold Marble Angels (Oscar/Yenta)
SW2-20g, QT, currently empty
FW4-30g, currently empty
FW5-20g, 2 Gold Angels (non-paired)
SW3-35g (REFUGIUM for SW1) - EVIL ChocChipStar, Nassarius and Turbo snails
SW4-55g, 4 BlueGreen Chromis, King's Crown snail.
AquaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 10:11 PM   #19
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaBear
I've heard mixed things about people putting snails in a SW tank at all. Even if it's just one, they can reproduce asexually, and I've heard of one person who claims he had a breakout and stripped his tank clean of all algae growth in a little over a month. I definitely don't want this to happen.
True many can reproduce asexually, especially predaceous species but having what was told to you actually happen is increadibley rare. Snails will quite commonly lay eggs or broadcast reproductive matter into the water column depending on species. It rarely if ever results in much. The odds in the home aquarium are greatly stacked against their successful growth to any size large enough to be recognized.

I'm not saying it's impossible, just not probable.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
clean, cleaner, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com