Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-16-2004, 01:10 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Tank Cleaner packages

I am thinking of purchasing a tank cleaner package sometime in the near future, similar to the one's that liveaquaria.com and marinedepotlive.com offer. (http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/s...=25&pCatId=420).

My question is, is it ok to so many crabs and snails at one time? Looks to be about 30 to 40 added at once. I been looking for information about how to go about adding these to a tank, and can't find much. If anyone can give me some advice or share a link to some information, I would greatly appreciate it.

Old 06-16-2004, 06:30 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

when i set up a 55 i got a Mega Algae Attack Pack from liveaquaria
bioload wise it is okay to add all the stuff that comes in it at once (i asked a few people the same thing when i was thinking about ordering it)
as far as what comes in it, I thought it was way too much, they cleaned my tank in a matter of days and with the amount of snails it did not look too good to me because they were just everywhere
I ended up trading in a bunch of the turbos to the LFS
I just cycled my 90 and am expecting a clean up crew tomorrow...i ordered from etropicals, and made my own pack with less snails then they recommend because like i said i thought it was too much

Old 06-16-2004, 07:01 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I've heard that from several people. Go with a kit designed for an aquarium smaller than what you have.
Old 06-16-2004, 09:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClamKnuckle
when i set up a 55 i got a Mega Algae Attack Pack from liveaquaria
bioload wise it is okay to add all the stuff that comes in it at once (i asked a few people the same thing when i was thinking about ordering it)
as far as what comes in it, I thought it was way too much, they cleaned my tank in a matter of days and with the amount of snails it did not look too good to me because they were just everywhere
I ended up trading in a bunch of the turbos to the LFS
I just cycled my 90 and am expecting a clean up crew tomorrow...i ordered from etropicals, and made my own pack with less snails then they recommend because like i said i thought it was too much
I have a 55 Gallon now. How many crabs and snails do you guys suggest I get? Also, what kind of crabs and snails should i get, again any advice is greatly appreciated.

I am thinking of building my own package using etropicals as well. I also thought the recommended number of snails and crabs seems like too much.
Old 06-17-2004, 12:46 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

I had the same problem my tank was 65 gal and I bought the 55 gal pack. My tank was covered in algae, 36 hours later clean. A week later the snails started to die off due to lack of food. IMO start with the 30 gal pack or lower you can always buy more later. Better than starving them to death. If your tank is clean now shoot real low you will be amazed how much algae a few snails can eat everyday. 8O
Old 06-17-2004, 06:24 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm with hammer. Been there done that
Old 06-17-2004, 12:38 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well i got my cleaners today from etropicals. I was much happier with the last pack I got. I did not get everything I ordered, and some of the snails I ordered came as the correct snail shells but have hermits inside, I can not tell what type yet because I havent turned my lights on in the tank. I emailed them to complain and am waiting for a response.
Old 06-17-2004, 01:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClamKnuckle
Well i got my cleaners today from etropicals. I was much happier with the last pack I got. I did not get everything I ordered, and some of the snails I ordered came as the correct snail shells but have hermits inside, I can not tell what type yet because I havent turned my lights on in the tank. I emailed them to complain and am waiting for a response.
Let me know what you find out. I am very curious because i am considering buying from etropicals as well.
Old 06-17-2004, 01:22 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

They gave me a refund on the stuff i was missing...well a credit anyway
That includes the "snails" that I received that were really hermits.
Old 06-17-2004, 02:22 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Atleast you got a refund. I guess its cheaper for them to refund you as oppose to resending you the correct critters, but now you still dont have what you intended and the cost of shipping to order the correct critters is going to cost you more $$$.

I guess you can't win them all

Tags
clean, cleaner, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com