Tank Cleaning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dinotrex

Aquarium Advice Regular
I got a 55 gallon glass tank from a buddy used and the inside has some kind of stains, I'm guessing its some sort of either mildew or just stains from algae. I've been reading that it's ok to clean the outside of the tank with Windex, but what can I use to really clean the inside?? I know that chemical cleaners aren't good cause the water will eventually mix in with those cleaning chemicals.

This is a empty tank, correct? If so you could actually use a capful or two of bleach and mix it with water. Scrub the inside of the tank well and then rinse back out and use a dechlorinator.

Then rinse, rinse, rinse again.

OR dup a bottle of viengar in the tank and put a couple gal of water in there and start rubbing with a wet rag. DO NOT use anything abrasive obvuosly as you will end up scratching the glass. The viengar should disolve the stains fairly quick.

Rinse and Rinse.

I shy away from windex on the outside of a filled tank. The spay from the windex if not careful can go into the tank. Since windex usually contains ammonia then thats no good. Instead I just use a slightly damp rag and then buff with a soft towel.

Pet Smart has this tank cleaner thats safe to use on the inside and out.. I use steel wool on the inside too for harsh deposits.. It's gotta be the glass polishing kind it's like super fine... Takes out scratches too !

Back
Top Bottom