Tank contamination? GFO

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Readingexcalibur

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I just shot 64,800 (18x30tank with 120 particles per square inch) particles of GFO (granular ferric oxide) into my tank. I thought I cleaned the reactor enough, but apparently not. These are all in the form of micro size GFO, not large chunks.

Has anyone done this (I can't be the only one) and how has this affected your tank? Do I need to be concerned as it would be near impossible to clean it out?

When I use to use GFO, I once forgot to rinse it, and had a rather large rust colored plum into my sump, never hurt anything

Yeah, it's not that I have any clouding, it's just the particles of GFO that made it past the sponge in the phosban 150. I flushed it before, but apparently it was not enough.

I change mine out when I do a water change, I add the new GFO and suck the water out of my tank till its clear instead of using a vac

Readingexcalibur said:
Yeah, it's not that I have any clouding, it's just the particles of GFO that made it past the sponge in the phosban 150. I flushed it before, but apparently it was not enough.

The dust will not hurt anything. Blow off the dust if you see it collect in rock, coral or equipment. Ive done this a few times, the skimmer will remove most of it. Also be sure the GFO is not tumbling to roughly or this will happen too.

Back
Top Bottom