Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-19-2011, 09:53 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
I do like the egg crate with the middle cut out. Do most jumping fish go out along the edge then? Is that why having the middle cut out works?

I've heard about netting as well, just don't know what kind.
Works for me,...you can also use the sections you've cut out to build a upright fence along the openings you've already cut out using zip ties to secure them in place,..( but I don't think that it's needed). ... I think most jumpers would probably use the corners as their vaulting out point......you can also use the cut out crate and then drape some plastic mesh fabric over the crate ( securing it in the rear using zip ties also) and then you can merely lay the mesh over the crate from the rear to the front,..probably best of both worlds....but for me,..the cut out crate works well.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:23 AM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Polypropylene netting. Works very well and handles the tank lighting well. The plastic grids from the hardware stores cast a shadow you won't like - or at least I didn't.

Check this out.... Jumpers? I think I got it. - Fantasyreef Forum

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 02:53 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

This would work great: Clear 1/4" Screen Netting 6.5' x 2.5' - English
Old 07-19-2011, 03:00 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

I do like that netting. Wonder if something like that is available locally.

Since I did have some egg crate left over I did add some of that to the top. I also have some gutter guard - it is like that netting but it is hard plastic - and I added some of that around the overflow to raise the height of it and to help keep anything out. I don't think it would make a good cover though.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:01 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

I got plenty. PM me if interested.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:23 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks for the offer, I may take you up on it but want to see how it goes with the egg crate for now. It doesn't block the light as much as I thought it was going to do.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:15 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Lowe's and home depot should carry the screen you need. it is an exterior grade uv screen that has .325" openings I believe. I know at the Lowe's here it is over by the screen material and in the gardening section by the fencing materials. I believe it is around $11 for like 20 feet.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:08 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Thanks for the link. That clear mesh is exactly what I was looking for. Light meter readings show I loose a significant amount of light with egg crate material. If I could find clear egg crate, that would be better, but the white is no good. Why spend this much on intense lighting to just cancel out half of it? This clear netting looks perfect.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:26 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

So yesterday I got the netting in from bulk reef supply. Looks like it will work really well for me. I went to the hardware store and picked up some window frame material and will work on making these tops either tonight or tomorrow. I'll get up some pictures when I'm done.

I'm also in the process of finishing my hood. I have it all built, just need to get it painted/stained. Everything at once!
Old 08-05-2011, 12:39 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I installed mine last week and it worked great.

Tags
cover, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com