Tank crash...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkW19

Aquarium Advice Addict
Sadly, I've just lost all 3 of my fish to whitespot. Caught it too late, and there was nothing I could do. They all died within 4 days. I suspect it was brought in by my last fish which was introduced (stupidly) without quarantine a couple of months ago.

I've still got crabs and shrimps in my tank, and all the levels are still good.

Of course I want to get more fish again, but I'm guessing I should wait for 6 weeks before I put any more in? If I do leave my tank with no fish in for 6 weeks, how do I keep the bacteria alive? I'm thinking of putting the same amount of food in each day (once a day) that I always have done. Will this be sufficient to keep the bacteria alive for 6 weeks?

What about water changes - I usually do them every 2-3 weeks. Should I be doing them until I get fish?

Thanks!

:)

Yes, do water changes to keep everyone happy. I would definatly wait atleast a month before adding anything new.

As for the food, you can maybe put in half of what you usually put in to keep your shimp and crabs alive.

Just make sure you add the fish in slowly to avoid any problems.

Sorry for your loss, good luck.

I agree, keep up with your normal regular maintenance and keep feeding the tank.

Thanks guys...

With the food, the main concern with feeding the tank is to keep the bacteria alive so I don't have to cycle my tank again and I can just put the new fish straight in...

The crabs and shrimps will have more than enough "other" stuff in the tank to keep them going...

So I'm thinking of normal water changes and usual amount of food every day.

Everyone think that'd be ok??

Should be ok, depending on what the "usual amount of food every day" is. I'd be inclined to keep tabs on your ammo and make sure that it doesn't start to spike with the amount of food you're adding. If I put in the amount of food I feed my tank every other day I'd probably end up with some pretty foul water at the end of a week, but that's just a guess!

MarkW19 said:
so I don't have to cycle my tank again and I can just put the new fish straight in...

You may want to quarantine any fish that you get first, so that you don't accidentally introduce anything into your display tank that could harm it.

You could even set up a quarantine tank now and get a new fish. That way by the time your display tank is ready, your new fish will have already been quarantined and ready to go!

Good luck!

6 week fallow minimum. To be sure you could wait 8 weeks. Just do not add all the fish at once. As Phly said I would still feed the tank but cut back some. As stated above starting your QT early so in 6-8 weeks you can add your first fish is also a good idea.

OK, I'll feed the tank half as much - so once every two days, with the same amount I used to (I always underfed rather than overfed).

Back
Top Bottom