Tank crash help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah i wouldnt think the gfo and carbon are the cause. Id just keep testing every few days and see what happens. Its possible to have hust lost fish. It happens to all of us at one point or another and its never really explainable. I lost my blue face angel and fdl that way

It's extremely frustrating tanks been running over two years and never lost anything ever. Then I suddenly lose everything in 24 hours

I rinsed with rodi and then pump 5 gallon out of my tank for a water change water was good and clear. And set flow real low just barely a tumble in gfo and a light trickle out the reactor return

You stated you started with half a cup? I def see issue here. I've accidentally done this to my tank and had things close up for awhile, even forgot to rinse and flooded the tank with dust. But an entire crash? There has to be something else going on. Inverts can be sensitive and so can sps, but are more resilient then we give credit at times. Something drastic had to occur to cause the crash other than gfo and carbon.

You stated you started with half a cup? I def see issue here. I've accidentally done this to my tank and had things close up for awhile, even forgot to rinse and flooded the tank with dust. But an entire crash? There has to be something else going on. Inverts can be sensitive and so can sps, but are more resilient then we give credit at times. Something drastic had to occur to cause the crash other than gfo and carbon.

I started with 1/4 cup gfo and 1/4 cup carbon. I would love to know what else it could be but nothing else has changed that's the only new equipment. My crabs are fine all snails died corals are closed rbta are closed. All fish died all shrimp died. All parameters I can check are good

Just hang in there man. My 125 sprung a leak while i was at work and i lost 2 triggers, a clown, aussie tusk, and more. I didnt replace my tank for almost a year but now im glad i tried again. Its hard to see past the bad crap but youll get back up and running before you know it;)

Ya I don't want to quit it but I want to know what happened and why. Was it something I did or what. I am crazy strict with my maintenance and make sure everyone is happy and healthy.

The gfo was rinsed and didn't run into he tank right? I'm really stretching my imagination to figure out which way the gfo could cause a crash.

Ya I ran into a bucket I read somewhere that running gfo on established tank could cause a drastic drop in phosphates and shock the tank that was my concern.

I understand. I'm trying to use my tank as a base standard as I've made gfo mistakes on it. In the end I ditched gfo. Could never get it to tumble right. Working with resins right now and like it so far.

I feel I had a real light tumble and a small stream out the return. I have ran carbon before this is my first gfo experience I bought the whole dual reactor kit from brs

I run the sale reactor. Could never get the gfo tumbling right. Hate the stuff...and I'm sure you do right now too.

Ha yeah maybe if that's what caused my problem I thought I was doing a good thing for my corals but I don't think I worked slow enough

A few weeks ago I tried running gfo on my 60g tank. I did not rinse it, kinda forgot and my tank was covered in brown gfo particles for almost a week. I did a huge water change to get it out and it was fine. i didnt lose any fish or anything. GFO will not kill your fish unless there was something in it. A drop in phosphates, even if very large will not kill fish. It might make corals unhappy for a bit but thats it. There has to be something we're missing.

Sorry for your losses, it happens to the best of us.

It seems that everyone is focused on gfo and carbon reactor when the obvious problem is the ammonia. If you have a phosphate problem the nitrate should not be 0. You might be running your tank in the brink even before you got those new chemical filters. Fish can withstand phospate and nitrate but not ammonia or nitrite. As huma huma stated your bb might not be enough that is why no nitrite or nitrate.

Back
Top Bottom