Tank divider for an established aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BLUElobster99

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a cycled 55gallon tank. I am getting a purple spot mantis this afternoon. Is there a way to divide the tank so that I might keep two mantis shrimp? I was hoping to get a peacock when one becomes available

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I see you don't want to follow the advice I've given you about slowing down, but I really think you should wait. Get a cheap hardy fish, get the hang of maintaing a sw tank and let the tank mature before adding one of these sensitive creatures. It would allow you to wait for a peacock (which it seems your really more interested in) and learn the ropes on a much more forgiving animal.

As to this question yes I've seen it done.

I'm not getting either animal anytime soon I'm talking about in the future. Is the purple spot easier to care for than a peacock?

I believe you mentioned a blue reef chromis in one of my other threads.. Do they require a protein skimmer? I do have a sea clone 100 that I got on sale last year but everyone I've talked to say that they're ineffective. Is it neccesary that I invest in a better skimmer? Or would the chromis be ok with just LR (I have roughly 50lbs)

Yes you can make a divider for a tank. Although some folks have kept multiple mantis in one tank, it's been done with a larger (footprint) tank. I think a 55 is too small as they are quite clever and will fight to the death. It's highly possibly they could figure out how to get to each other. As stated above and in previous threads of yours, it's highly advisable to slow down. A LOT !!! I understand it's only questions you're asking for possibly something in the future but in all seriousness, you haven't even gotten the first one in your tank yet. And as you've agreed, your LFS guy doesn't know jack about SW so that's a huge red flag IMO.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you.

Yes you can make a divider for a tank. Although some folks have kept multiple mantis in one tank, it's been done with a larger (footprint) tank. I think a 55 is too small as they are quite clever and will fight to the death. It's highly possibly they could figure out how to get to each other. As stated above and in previous threads of yours, it's highly advisable to slow down. A LOT !!! I understand it's only questions you're asking for possibly something in the future but in all seriousness, you haven't even gotten the first one in your tank yet. And as you've agreed, your LFS guy doesn't know jack about SW so that's a huge red flag IMO.

If you silicone in a black piece of acrylic or plastic I think it could be pretty cool. And as long as they can't see through, and it's a nice thick and solid piece of acrylic/plastic they shouldn't be able to get to each other.

You could divide it up with a 1/3 and 2/3 sections and do a n. wennerae or g. smithii in the smaller section, and the o. scyllarus in the larger. I think this could turn into an awesome setup (yes, I've thought about this a time or 2 ;) ) if you take your time and plan it out right

If you silicone in a black piece of acrylic or plastic I think it could be pretty cool. And as long as they can't see through, and it's a nice thick and solid piece of acrylic/plastic they shouldn't be able to get to each other.

You could divide it up with a 1/3 and 2/3 sections and do a n. wennerae or g. smithii in the smaller section, and the o. scyllarus in the larger. I think this could turn into an awesome setup (yes, I've thought about this a time or 2 ;) ) if you take your time and plan it out right

Either of those combos sound like they'd be beautiful. Ever since I saw my first mantis video on YouTube I was hooked on them. I'm still working on the upgrade from my 10g nano to the 40b and keeping my pistol alive as long as he'll give me. I'm still 18 months from moving and it will be some time after that before I set up a mantis tank. I do agree the black plastic/acrylic divider would probably be the best option in the attempt. Out of sight, out of mind theory sounds right but I wonder (haven't researched far enough) about their other senses and how those would play with each one knowing they exist on the other side. Then if it's divided, how would the filtration side of things go ? Dual inlets/outlets and enough to over filter by x rate ? The top of divider sectioned off like an overflow and tank not filled to the rim ? Because perforating the plastic looks good on paper, yet defeats the purpose.

Sealing the arcylic/plastic with silicone would require me to drain the tank right?

Never got that far in the planning :p. But asking as were getting all DIY, maybe set up to separate aio systems, with a false wall running the lent high of the back and split so each system stays seperate but contained in the same large tank. If that makes sense to anyone but me :eek:. I may have thought of a use for the 40b I've got in storage right now :), might have to think about this some more.

Sealing the arcylic/plastic with silicone would require me to drain the tank right?

Yes. It would have to be drained, cleaned, dried, prepped, measured, cut to fit, sealed, and silicone would need at least 24 hours to set before adding water back into it.

Never got that far in the planning :p. But asking as were getting all DIY, maybe set up to separate aio systems, with a false wall running the lent high of the back and split so each system stays seperate but contained in the same large tank. If that makes sense to anyone but me :eek:. I may have thought of a use for the 40b I've got in storage right now :), might have to think about this some more.

I follow your thinking. I think anyway. You're saying a "false wall" kind of like a double corner overflow setup ? Hmm..... (Taps finger on forehead) I've got 13 empty tanks in the garage. I'm sure I could use one of the 10's to mock something up. Single or twin sumps ?

I follow your thinking. I think anyway. You're saying a "false wall" kind of like a double corner overflow setup ? Hmm..... (Taps finger on forehead) I've got 13 empty tanks in the garage. I'm sure I could use one of the 10's to mock something up. Single or twin sumps ?

I was talking about making your own aio but a sump would probably be better, a drain for each section and just a Y to split the returns that way you could get away with 1 sump for both tanks but they could still be completely seperate. Assuming the overflows are mantis proofed :)

Back
Top Bottom