Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-14-2011, 06:41 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Tank Ideas to brighten it up

Hey guys,

Just wondering if someone can give me some ideas on what I can do to brighten up the tank with some colour? Currently I only I have 40-45kg of live rock and sand. No corals or anemones.

Can i out things like bubbles, plants etc

Thanks heaps

Danny

Old 07-14-2011, 08:59 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Do you have sufficient lighting for some of the lower light corals? Fake ones get dirty and unattractive real fast I think.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:08 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to kurtyboh Send a message via Skype™ to kurtyboh
I agree with austinsdad, loads of places around here have false corals and plants... they always look like crap.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:39 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I'd also vote for some low light corals if you have the light. Zooa's and mushrooms can add alot of color.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:52 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

When you say 'sufficient lighting, low light corals' what do you mean? As it stands I don't don't have any of the blue coloured light, only 2 x normal clear colored light. (LFS said i don't need the blue ones because ive only got live rock and fish.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:57 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Ok, maybe we have something to work with now. How big is your tank and how long are the lights? There are some corals that can live under 2 lights, though you may have to buy a blue bulb to replace a white one.

I bet the mushrooms and zooas would love it in there and you can get them in like every color!

Let us know about the lights! so exciting, you might get to have some corals.

Also though, forgot to ask, what kind of fish do you have and are your water parameters good, amm, nitrite , nitrate those numbers...As long as you have reef safe fish and youre water is good corals might work out for you!
Old 07-14-2011, 09:58 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

The lfs was right. Now, tell him you want lower light corals and see if he'll let you trade up your ligihts for better ones.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:34 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

At the moment I have a the following:

- 75g tank
- Filtration in my sump is crushed corrals an matrix.
- small Skimmer
- 3ft tank (with lighting [twin]) (about 1.5yrs old)
- 40-45 kg live rock

Water level and salt and everything is excellent.

Fish:
2 x nemo
2 x firefish
2 x hermit crabs
2 x star fish
1 x yellow tang
1 x pencil sea urchin
1 x chromis

Heater set at 26-27 degrees celcious and 1 wave maker.

Are the mushrooms easy to care for or will I need one if those $2000 lighting systems?

Thanks heaps for your feedback

Danny
Old 07-14-2011, 10:38 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I think you can get away with the lighting youhave for some shrooms. But if you want a 4 bulb fixture and to grow even more corals try this fixture out

4Ft/4Bulbs fixture

$150 and you can grow alot of different corals.

Also looks liek you have reef safe fish so that's not a problem, youre water is fine so thats also not an issue.

How's that tang doing in that tank? Has he gotten big yet? You may have a problem with him at some point being in that small of a tank but that's just an FYI.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:44 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Im from Australia so I'll try and find a local supplier for the lighting system. Thanks for the pointer though much appreciated.

Regarding the tang.... Not doing to well his only ahoy 2-3 inchs ad couple of days ago noticed some tiny black dots on him (there is another thread currently opened) I'm on the iPhone so I can't past a link to it... But yeah having some troubles with him. Can't catch him tried and tried his just to **** quick, today his started rubbing himself against the glass and rocks but after doing some re search apparently I can use tri sulfate in the tank. Not sure will try and catch him again tomorrow.

Danny

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com