Tank Ideas to brighten it up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CircleOfLinks

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys,

Just wondering if someone can give me some ideas on what I can do to brighten up the tank with some colour? Currently I only I have 40-45kg of live rock and sand. No corals or anemones.

Can i out things like bubbles, plants etc

Thanks heaps

Danny

Do you have sufficient lighting for some of the lower light corals? Fake ones get dirty and unattractive real fast I think.

I agree with austinsdad, loads of places around here have false corals and plants... they always look like crap.

I'd also vote for some low light corals if you have the light. Zooa's and mushrooms can add alot of color. :)

When you say 'sufficient lighting, low light corals' what do you mean? As it stands I don't don't have any of the blue coloured light, only 2 x normal clear colored light. (LFS said i don't need the blue ones because ive only got live rock and fish.

Ok, maybe we have something to work with now. How big is your tank and how long are the lights? There are some corals that can live under 2 lights, though you may have to buy a blue bulb to replace a white one.

I bet the mushrooms and zooas would love it in there and you can get them in like every color!

Let us know about the lights! so exciting, you might get to have some corals.

Also though, forgot to ask, what kind of fish do you have and are your water parameters good, amm, nitrite , nitrate those numbers...As long as you have reef safe fish and youre water is good corals might work out for you!

The lfs was right. Now, tell him you want lower light corals and see if he'll let you trade up your ligihts for better ones.

At the moment I have a the following:

- 75g tank
- Filtration in my sump is crushed corrals an matrix.
- small Skimmer
- 3ft tank (with lighting [twin]) (about 1.5yrs old)
- 40-45 kg live rock

Water level and salt and everything is excellent.

Fish:
2 x nemo
2 x firefish
2 x hermit crabs
2 x star fish
1 x yellow tang
1 x pencil sea urchin
1 x chromis

Heater set at 26-27 degrees celcious and 1 wave maker.

Are the mushrooms easy to care for or will I need one if those $2000 lighting systems?

Thanks heaps for your feedback

Danny

I think you can get away with the lighting youhave for some shrooms. But if you want a 4 bulb fixture and to grow even more corals try this fixture out

4Ft/4Bulbs fixture

$150 and you can grow alot of different corals.

Also looks liek you have reef safe fish so that's not a problem, youre water is fine so thats also not an issue.

How's that tang doing in that tank? Has he gotten big yet? You may have a problem with him at some point being in that small of a tank but that's just an FYI. :)

Im from Australia so I'll try and find a local supplier for the lighting system. Thanks for the pointer though much appreciated.

Regarding the tang.... Not doing to well his only ahoy 2-3 inchs ad couple of days ago noticed some tiny black dots on him (there is another thread currently opened) I'm on the iPhone so I can't past a link to it... But yeah having some troubles with him. Can't catch him tried and tried his just to **** quick, today his started rubbing himself against the glass and rocks but after doing some re search apparently I can use tri sulfate in the tank. Not sure will try and catch him again tomorrow.

Danny

Oh yes, I've been following that thread. Sorry but I don't know about the mere. Id still try to get him out and in a qt tank for treatment.

That's cool... I'll go past tomorrow my LFS and find out a little more in terms of cost etc of the mush rooms. I'll keep you posted with how things go. Again thank you so much for your help.

- Danny

I'd strongly suggest you get that sick tang in order before adding anything else. In another link you're talkig about adding meds. Also, might even have to tear down the tank/rocks to catch the tang. I'd hold off adding any coral for now.

+1 A-D Care for the tang 1st sounds like black ich get him in a QT were you can treat it If the DT must remain fallow for 8 weeks then add some corals Dont add Meds to the main tank! you havent lived untill you've tossed 250lbs(@ 8.99lb) of live rock because somebody dosed with copper:nono:

And if yove evrr dosed copper in your dt it has seaped into the silicone so no good for corals, ok for fish only, but not reef.

Yeah I know what you are saying. I spoke to my LFS and started a treatment. You Can see what ive done which so far looks like it's working. Im on the iPhone so unable to place a link to the tread but it's in the sick fish category.

Thanks again Guys for everything

- Danny

iF YOU DONT WANT THE EXPENSE OF LIGHTS AND CORALS THEN GET SOME MACRO ALGAE,NOT ONLY DO THEY HELP REDUCE YOUR TRATES A LOT OF THEM ARE NICE TO LOOK AT. halimeda is quite nice,Halimeda(monile/Incrassata), Halymenia,flame algae, Laurencia and shaving brush plant I think are the best ones

David S said:
iF YOU DONT WANT THE EXPENSE OF LIGHTS AND CORALS THEN GET SOME MACRO ALGAE,NOT ONLY DO THEY HELP REDUCE YOUR TRATES A LOT OF THEM ARE NICE TO LOOK AT. halimeda is quite nice,Halimeda(monile/Incrassata), Halymenia,flame algae, Laurencia and shaving brush plant I think are the best ones

Ok thanks I will look into them today. Are they easy to maintain? Also aren't the mushrooms easy to look after and don't need special lighting?

- Danny

I'm Aussie aswell.
Sort out your tank first. Especially with the sick fish. Marinedepot.com.au I think that's the right site.
There's 2 bulb systems there that would grow mushrooms or zoa's

Back
Top Bottom