Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-12-2006, 05:22 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Gramma's get white patches on them with poor water quality. Any time my Nitrates used to climb, or pH would get off of normal, he'd start fading to pale purple in areas, mostly on top of his head. Kind of like the canary in the coalmine.

180G build thread

180G All-glass with dual megaflows in a custom stand
AquaC EV-180 skimmer
250 pounds LR
160 pounds aragonite
Custom acrylic sump from GlassCages.com
2xPCX-40 return pumps
2x250MH 14K, 2x175MH 14K - PFO lighting, 2x65W PC
No-name 36W UV
Water General 125GPH RO/DI
Filstar XP3
Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 08:19 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak
Thats really interesting. Ive been fighting high nitrates for quite some time now, cant seem to kick them though. The first day that I noticed him like that, he had white patches all over his body (especially the face) and around the eyes. I mean my nitrates arent terrible (20) but they ahve been that way for a while now. I cant lower them, partial water changes (20%) every three days and nothing. The only thing is now he almost looks like the white patches may be truning into ich, not sure though. Thanks for the comment and if you know good ways to get rid of nitrate please help. Thanks.........

Squado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 07:59 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak
Lots of LR/LS help to get rid of nitrates. Lower bioload/feedings. Diligent water changes and detritus removal.
demodiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 09:08 AM   #14
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
You might think about taking out that bio wheel, when you have enough LR in the system....I would get some other opinions first...

Age is relative, you are only as old as you act....of course, this works in reverse....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Acronym List

roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote

long, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com