Tank Issues - Need Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrettyFishies

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello All,

So, I've admittedly been neglecting my tank for a while, just doing the min but not even keeping up with regular water changes. I'm ready now to put some $$ and time in to reverse the trend.

Tank:

125 gallon SW reef, 9 fish, a decent number of LPS and soft corals, 30 gal sump/refugium, 2 PH's on top, 1 on bottom, 4x80w T5's

Problems:

1. tons of aiptasia and majano
  2. tons of algae, but not as much hair algae as there used to be - bubble algae in the display where before it was only the sump
  3. Distressed-looking fish - my blue tang has what look like lesions all over him, and ,y yellow tang has missing fins like she's been attacked. The others look okay and ALL eat just fine at feeding.
  4. I'm sure I lost at least one fish - a diamond goby
  5. Losing SPS and soft corals like green star polyps and montipora capricornus

Solutions:

1. Replace light bulbs. It's been a LONG time. (ATI T5's)
  2. Replace my skimmer - decided on a Reef Octopus Classic 150 space saver - (Reef Octopus Classic 150 Space Saver Protein Skimmer - Bulk Reef Supply) Any feedback?
  3. Water Movement. I'm thinking i don't have enough. I THINK I have2 Koralia 900gph. I don't know the power for sure since they were used. I have a Maxi Jet on the bottom - either a 900 or 1200.
  4. Get more chemi-pure
  5. Change water weekly!
Questions:

1. Any reservations on that skimmer?
  2. Do I have enough water movement?
  3. Any other factors I'm missing that equipment can address?

Thanks everyone in advance!
Mark

How much live rock do you filter in any other way? do you use RODI water when changing? and what stock do you have? tangs may be hurt due to conflict or something. may need to manually remove the hair algae too

How much live rock do you filter in any other way? do you use RODI water when changing? and what stock do you have? tangs may be hurt due to conflict or something. may need to manually remove the hair algae too

Probably about 250# of LR, I use only RODI. Blue and YT, 4 clowns, royal gramma, 2 chromis. I have never seen any fighting because I got them all young. The last one was added like 2 yrs ago...

I've read that emerald crabs and foxface's will eat bubble algae. Seems hit and miss though. Some say to let the bubbles get bigger then try to carefully remove them from the rock outside of the tank because if one pops it releases spores.

This is what I'm running on my 150. But I'm using a 55 gallon I turned into a sump
Super Skimmer
model G-3000
Tank Capacity: 210-265gal
Pump: DC-2500
Pump Power: 36W, 24V
Air Intake: 900 L/hr
Chamber Diameter: 7" cone
Footprint:
10"L x 7.5"W x 22.5"H
Water Level: 8" - 11"
I paid $300 for it at goaquariums.com

Are you able to take out your live rock. If so I would after a large water change. The aiptasia and majano would be much easier to kill off and you could also scrub all the bad algae off the rock also

Are you able to take out your live rock. If so I would after a large water change. The aiptasia and majano would be much easier to kill off and you could also scrub all the bad algae off the rock also

I have in the past. Hate doing that cause it stresses the fish.

How do you kill the pest nems after removing the rock?

Also, what do you think about my PH situation?

Found this - but would need a new pump -http://www.ebay.com/itm/Reef-Octopus-RPS-3000-Reef-Protein-Skimmer-Brand-new-in-the-Box-/121214942884?pt=Fish_Filters&hash=item1c38f93ea4

Thoughts? My current skimmer is already outside the sump so it's just a plumbing change and a new pump to go with this.

IMO, that Octo skimmer you are considering is underpowered for your system (The one on the first page). I'm not sure about the recirculating model. The recirc model is nearly 100 bucks to ship and then will need a pump. Is that a feed pump, or is it less the octo 3000 pump it's supposed to come with?

IMO, that Octo skimmer you are considering is underpowered for your system (The one on the first page). I'm not sure about the recirculating model. The recirc model is nearly 100 bucks to ship and then will need a pump. Is that a feed pump, or is it less the octo 3000 pump it's supposed to come with?

Did you see this one? http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/super-reef-octopus-1000lss-protein-skimmer.html

And I believe the recir requires a feed pump but comes with the recirculating pump.

Yes, that skimmer is underpowered for your system. You don't want that one. The recirc model has been discontinued. It's been replaced by this one- Reef Octopus Super Reef 3000 External Skimmer Bubble Magus has some potent external skimmers, but I'm having trouble finding retail vendors for them....

Lol I'm trying to keep the skimmer purchase under $350 if possible. I'll do some searching.

So if the RO says 180 max and you feel that's underpowered, then what's my target?

Mine is rated for up to 265 and I have it on a 150. I'd shoot for something in that area. Mine works like a champ. But I do only have 10 smaller fish

Back
Top Bottom