Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-10-2010, 05:02 PM   #91
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat8you View Post
I may have missed it. I have not looked at his RC thread in months. It may be that there are no negative affects all i'm saying is that i'm still a little cautious.
The RC thread has been dead (not closed) for around a year - are you referring to the RS (sanctuary) thread? Also, from the best that I can tell, the hot debate on all the other threads has really waned, and it's mainly a few updates here and there, as well as some people posting their builds and questions about their builds.

I think the hotheads battled it out and got it out of their system for all they care to, and Santa Monica is just going to keep on going regardless of what they say since it appears he could care less what they say since they're not on his side, and he will continue to maintain his site and shoot out occasional updates as things progress or new things are learned.

He does have a pretty loyal following of "Algae Farmers" as one person put it on another site. Have I become a flag-waving Algae Farmer? I did join an MLM one time. Am I in a cult and I just don't know it yet? Maybe his motivation is to seek out salties that tend to gravitate towards cults. Perhaps one day we will all get together and share our harvested algae recipes...

Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 05:16 PM   #92
Aquarium Advice Freak

Have you seen his ATS forum? Algae Scrubbers • Index page

Old 11-10-2010, 05:43 PM   #93
Aquarium Advice Addict

On it - here's my build thread

Algae Scrubbers • View topic - ATS for 120 Reef
Old 11-10-2010, 06:00 PM   #94
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
the principle of using the oceans filtration system is what we all are doing. skimmers mimic the ocean as well as refugiums and the use of live rock.
i think the debate is about the statement : the mega powerful scrubber, replaces everything.
this guy was using this thing for a month or so before he told everyone it's the end all cure for ugly, failing tanks.
those "reefing veterans", who have all sorts of credentials to back them up, said that it was not a miracle cure. it has it's place in the hobby, but not a basket to put all of your eggs in.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:33 PM   #95
Aquarium Advice Addict

There are people with very healthy and successful tanks that rely on one and only one system of filtration. The ATS, when properly design and maintained, is one of them. The bad rap they have received can be attributed in almost all cases to bad design and maintenance, but the same can be said of almost any system.

I would have to say that based on everything I've read up to the point where I learned about the ATS and afterwards, that LR is a basic necessity, but apart from that, the Refugium is closer to a natural system than protein skimming by a long shot. Many studies are coming out revealing that they only do about 30% of what they say they do, and what they remove is what the corals live on. The ATS is basically a refugium, just in a different application. It essentially a super-concentrated refugium. You are growing macro algae and it grows way, way faster so it works more effectively.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:54 PM   #96
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
i think the debate is about the statement : the mega powerful scrubber, replaces everything.
this guy was using this thing for a month or so before he told everyone it's the end all cure for ugly, failing tanks.
I know where you're coming from here. It's combination misunderstanding and overreaction on all parties that led to the mudslinging. He originally started all his thread saying it removes Nitrate and Phosphate (which it does very well) because it did that for his tank in just over a month, and that it's a fix for those with Nitrate and Phosphate problems instead of going out and buying hundreds and hundreds of $ worth of equipment that requires knowledge, time and skill to set up and maintain, while his (initial bucket) solution was quick and easy.

Then yeah all the veterans got in a tizzy, he ticked them off and belittled them (very disrespectful to do, apparently he just doesn't care - we all know people like that, right?!) and he'll never get them to come on to his side, at all. That's why it's sad I think.

I think if he started out with that black acrylic box filter and had all the kinks worked out, it might have gone differently, like he would have more respect than "put this in a bucket with a light and BAM problem solved". I dunno. Lots of aspects to the Santa Monica...looking for a word here...controversy??

Not gonna stop me from making it work. I'm stumbling as I'm learning, but that's why I'm running these threads. Ideas and creativity make the world grow. I admire Santa Monica for his tenacity but there's no way I'd want to be him for many reasons. And I admire the veterans for trying to get a debate opened up and get answers so that others can know (comfortably) that what he "claims" has validity instead of just relying on anecdotal evidence, strong though it may be. Honestly, without people on both ends of the spectrum, this would be a boring place.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:03 AM   #97
Aquarium Advice Freak

If you've read the myths site, which i can't find right now (:/) he says that when running your skimmer you can remove stuff that is useful to your tank.

That being said I'm working over a way to integrate an algae scrubber into my tank so that I can run my skimmer say 8 hours a day and have the scrubber compliment that.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:31 AM   #98
Aquarium Advice Addict

Mything the Point, Part Three: Conclusion - Reefkeeping.com
Old 11-11-2010, 10:01 AM   #99
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
i highly doubt any of us can overskim our tanks. maybe if you put a skimmer rated for 500 gallons on your 55, then you might see these results. saave853- i don't think it would be wise to shut down your skimmer for any length of time if you are getting a good amount of skimmate.

unless you are getting these symptoms of course- "In most cases, the results are a "sterile" looking tank with little alive but corals and coralline algae. Corals tend to appear weakened and, for lack of a more accurate description, not robust."

which i highly doubt.

can you show me any really nice tanks that just run a turf scrubber and nothing else? i can only find young tanks.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:08 PM   #100
Aquarium Advice Addict

Updated pics

Here's a bunch of tank shots from today. Everything is looking great! I switched out the lights and had to take out 2 of the 8 due to light shock, but everything's much better now (still haven't put the 2 lamps back in)

Tags
125 gallon, 125 reef, journal, reef, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com