Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-20-2011, 02:43 PM   #131
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here's some pics to give you an idea of what NOT to do.

Here's the tube from the bulkhead to the jets.

and the inside of that tube after years of operation

This tube goes from 3/4" threaded to 3/4" hose barb at the bulkhead end to a combo hose barb-3/4" and 90 to female threaded, which is the major choke point.

The inside diameter of a 3/4" hose barb insert is about 1/2". Similarly, I had replaced the 3/4" tubing from the pump to bulkhead with the same, 3/4" tubing and hose barb/threaded adapters.

Here's the drain, it actually was 1", I guess my eyes were tricking me into thinking it was 3/4".

And here's the pump after 5-1/2 months since the last cleaning

Next - after...

Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 02:44 PM   #132
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh yeah, the pump smelled like a sewer. Not as bad as it did the first time I cleaned it when I took over the tank though. That time made me gag, I seriously thought I was going to hurl.

Here's the new tube run from pump to bulkhead

and from bulkhead to jets

Since the 3/4" threaded goes to a 1" hose barb, the inner diameter of that fitting is the same all the way through. Also, the 90 to the jets is a 1" female to 1" male, then a bushing to reduce the female to 3/4" for the jets. That means that the overall minimum ID of this is 3/4" (ID of the 3/4" threaded connector) vs 1/2" (3/4" hose barb connector), which is an increase of (0.75^2)/(0.5^2) = 2.25 or 125% more cross section. The maximum hose diameter went from 3/4" to 1-1/4", so that's (1.25^2)/(0.75^2) = 2.77 or 177% increase.

The Danner Manufacturing pump curve for the Mag12 http://www.dannermfg.com/instructionsheets/ZG100.PDF says that at 6 feet of head, you should get 950 GPH as long as you use 1.5" return piping.

So I would have to say that I'm pretty happy that I'm now getting 760 GPH. I expect that since the piping will 'slime up' over the next year, that the true maximum flow will eventually decrease by about 10%, putting it near 700 GPH, but it's a far cry better than the 433 max I was getting.

Also, here's a few YouTube videos that illustrate the difference

YouTube - 125 Reef - Plumbing Replacement

YouTube - 125 Reef - Plumbing Replacement & ATS Flow Increase

I also replaced the jets, because I had another set on hand...

And I almost forgot, here's the screen

Getting better, slowly recovering. We'll see what doubling the flow does for growth and for phosphates, which have never been below 0.10 in this tank.

Old 03-20-2011, 02:48 PM   #133
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Very thorough!
Old 05-10-2011, 06:43 PM   #134
Aquarium Advice Addict

I haven't done an update on this tank in a while. Unfortunately, this time my update contains rather dire news.

I found this today:

In case you've never seen a pending seam failure in an acrylic tank, now you can say that you have. From what I can tell, the square tube supports and particle board base of the custom cabinet that was built for this tank are not properly supporting the weight of the tank (the tank also doesn't line up with the beams underneath, and they're probably too small anyways) so the bottom is sagging and this is stressing the front bottom joint to the point there the bottom of the tank is actually fracturing through on the plane of the inside of the front panel. The tank is 3/8" material (60 W x 18 W x 24 H) and the bottom is 1/4". There is about a 2" wide section, right smack in the middle of the front bottom seam (3rd pic) that is fractured through about 2/3 of the way. This means that there is less than 1/8" of material holding back 120 gallons of water and livestock.

So please excuse me while I clean out my shorts.

Luckily, I have an empty 120 glass and I am getting a loaner stand so I can transfer everything.

Right now this is in a dentist's office with lots of kids so this is a disaster waiting to happen. I have no idea if this has gotten worse over time as this is really the first time I've noticed it.

This sucks!
Old 05-10-2011, 07:10 PM   #135
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to maxst2 Send a message via MSN to maxst2 Send a message via Yahoo to maxst2 Send a message via Skype™ to maxst2
Wow... thats really not good! Hope all can get xfer'd over safely and no issues arise!
Old 05-10-2011, 07:29 PM   #136
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good luck on the fix! Good thing you caught it now instead of after that mess!
Old 05-10-2011, 08:54 PM   #137
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm not counting my chickens before they're hatched. This thing still has to hold water for a few more days. The CAUTION tape is going up tomorrow. I'm serious.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:34 PM   #138
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well 2 days since discovering the fracture, and it hasn't progressed. Building a stand for my 2x2x4 120g and will be transferring everything to my house while I figure out how to fix the issue with the cabinet/stand and get a new tank for them (if they want another one).

In the meantime, I spoke with a rep from Tenecor. They of course only warranty their tanks for life if you put them on one of their stands. But it was an interesting conversation. I had the thought that the fracture might actually break through while I was emptying the tank, the thought being that when the pressure is relieved and the tank tries to go back to the original shape, that the fractured areas would try to push back together and this would actually cause the seam to fail. He verified that this indeed has happened before. The example he gave me was of a 10 foot tank that was having a seam failure, and they got down to the last 6 inches of water in the tank and it popped.

So I guess I will be armed with 2 carpet cleaning machines and crossed fingers...
Old 05-12-2011, 04:52 PM   #139
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would have never thought that there would be a problem at the time of taking things out. That was some good questioning. Always good to be prepared and I do wish you luck!
Old 05-12-2011, 04:57 PM   #140
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think I'm going to fire up the video camera while I empty it. If this thing does go, even during that process, then that would be considered a loss and might fall under insurance coverage. Having worked in insurance, I know that there is no coverage for preventative efforts, except when you are mitigating further damage after a loss (like putting on a blue roof after a hurricane). Plus I don't want there to be any question about me purposely causing the break, since it's pretty much going to happen I think.

Tags
125 gallon, 125 reef, journal, reef, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com