Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-09-2010, 07:32 PM   #81
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yea I read every page of that post on RS and I love the idea (and have since implemented it) and see the logic behind it as well. And SM's idea is attacked several times and he backs it up with research. I dont see the negative of this idea. I mean if someone could show me how this idea was in some way taking a chance with my tank I would probably reconsider but as of yet I see no down side to it.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:48 PM   #82
Aquarium Advice Addict

The only negative that I've found is that certain soft corals like The Red Sea Pulsing Xenia in this tank do require water that is a little dirtier (has some Phos and NO3), and he's told me that the only way to keep Xenia is if you start overfeeding the tank by about 5-10x. However, the Xenia in this tank have been exploding ever since I put them in, at 0 Nitrate and as low as 0.03 phosphate. It's a little higher now, but time will tell what happens to these guys. I have been trying to sell them at $5 a head an just don't get enough people to bite on it. They grow back faster than I can frag them.

Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:22 AM   #83
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
here they are....
Mega-Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover Replaces Skimmer : General Reefkeeping Discussion

and a second...
New Turf Results : General Reefkeeping Discussion
Old 11-10-2010, 02:27 PM   #84
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
Quote:
And SM's idea is attacked several times and he backs it up with research. I dont see the negative of this idea. I mean if someone could show me how this idea was in some way taking a chance with my tank I would probably reconsider but as of yet I see no down side to it.
I suspect that ATS have thier strengths and weaknesses like everything else. Last time santamonica blew through the threads like a hurricane i tried to debate with him ATS systems in a civalized way. I'm not against ATS but i'm not willing to say they are all that SM says they are cracked up to be.

I will disagree and say that santamonica almost never backed up his arguments with real research. It was always just "my tank is doing fine and so are lots of others". There are far to many variable in a saltwater tank to say that there are no down sides and it was the only contributer to the filtration and success of thier tanks. He tends to provide a extreemly one sided case and does not like to acknowledge any possible evidance to the contrary. Check out the thread i started before.

Debating the pros and cons of turf algea scrubbers

Having said all that I encourage people to try them out. For surface value they seem like there is a lot of potential. I'm just not willing to make it my only filtration. Really i'm not willing to ever have just one source of filtration since they all have downsides and a combination more accuratly mimics the natural environment.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:27 PM   #85
Aquarium Advice Addict

WOW. I love that first thread, 95 posts from 8/16/2008 to 8/28/2008. 12 days to locked!! Yeah he pretty much took the same bashing and gave the same egotistical responses (which I find very funny and sarcastic) that he gives on all the other similar threads I've seen. What is sad is that when you look at the evolution of the ATS from August 2008 (when he started mass-threading across the net) to today, it's a completely different animal, and the approach is all you can blame. It's funny and sad at the same time that he gets "attacked by wolves" but then just responds back in ways that inflame the discussion, and then it becomes less of a debate about merits than it does about flaming back because you were belittled. Lots of egos flying around.

Plus I love reading again about the Coprolite video again. That's where they put Red Turf Algae right next to an SPS (with a permeable screen between them) and it started killing it within a couple hours - that's what the "proximity" explanation he gave was related to. When the turf is remoted to a filter system, there are no effects, but if you didn't watch the whole video, you wouldn't know that, so everyone watches the first 10 minutes and thinks GOTCHA.

I haven't read the second thread yet...
Old 11-10-2010, 03:57 PM   #86
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
That's where they put Red Turf Algae right next to an SPS (with a permeable screen between them) and it started killing it within a couple hours - that's what the "proximity" explanation he gave was related to. When the turf is remoted to a filter system, there are no effects, but if you didn't watch the whole video, you wouldn't know that, so everyone watches the first 10 minutes and thinks GOTCHA.
Yeah i agree that both santamonica and most of the people who attack him end up being rather juvenile. I watched the whole video and i still have concerns that i discussed with him in my other thread about dealing with closed systems. I had a few other concerns which he tried to address but the cold truth of it is that we just don't have enough information on ATS to make an informed decision.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:00 PM   #87
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
I will disagree and say that santamonica almost never backed up his arguments with real research. It was always just "my tank is doing fine and so are lots of others".
He had a lot of "evidence" on his post on RS. He posted links and SEEMED to back up his argument with evidence. I am not a scientist or biologist so I cant really give a definate answer. I like the idea, it seems sound to my simple mind. I still have not had anyone state a negative affect of this idea. SOOOO until someone can say it will/could cause...... I am going run with it. Im not going to argue the merits of this idea anymore. Ill let you guys know if my tank crashes because of this. Good luck with yours Floyd sorry for the highjack wont happen again.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:09 PM   #88
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
He had a lot of "evidence" on his post on RS. He posted links and SEEMED to back up his argument with evidence. I am not a scientist or biologist so I cant really give a definate answer. I like the idea, it seems sound to my simple mind. I still have not had anyone state a negative affect of this idea. SOOOO until someone can say it will/could cause...... I am going run with it. Im not going to argue the merits of this idea anymore. Ill let you guys know if my tank crashes because of this. Good luck with yours Floyd sorry for the highjack wont happen again.
I may have missed it. I have not looked at his RC thread in months. It may be that there are no negative affects all i'm saying is that i'm still a little cautious. I have been watching floyd's ATS thread and it's nice to see him document the process. I am thinking about trying an ATS on my tank if i start seeing the high nutrients. I'm not attacking the idea I just don't like that santamonica presents it as some kind of magic solution. Either way, I agree that this topic has been debated to death and I do not want to get drawn in again. Let me know how it works for the two of you. Sorry to clog up your thread Floyd.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:13 PM   #89
Aquarium Advice Addict

Second one August 30th 2008 to December 19th 2008 and locked due to bickering. And if you read those posts, there are a bunch of rear-end-orifices on that site man. Even by that time though, the first really good scrubber builds started showing up. There are only a handful of them still up and running.

Mega-Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover Replaces Skimmer, Refugium, part 1-4 - Aquaria Central

FishGeeks :: Tropical fish - Marine Fish - Aquarium Fish - Pond Fish - Aquatic Plants

no new posts in a while Mega-Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover Replaces Skimmer, Refugium, and Everything Else - ReefAquariumGuide

Mega-Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover Replaces Skimmer, Refugium, and Everything Else

Not locked, but he's banned http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1424843 (I posted to it tee hee)

Mega-Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover Replaces Skimmer, Refugium, Everything - Reefer's Cafe

http://forums.saltwaterfish.com/foru...ium-everything

People are really immature on both sides of these threads IMO (the really nasty ones, I mean)
Old 11-10-2010, 04:21 PM   #90
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah no problem...This thread is all about the tank, but the ATS is part of the tank, and people want to know about it. I didn't put it on this tank because of high nutrients by any means, I really did it based on the principal of the idea, mimicking the ocean's filtration system. There was a tank temperature issue (skimmer pump added 3-5 degrees to the system) and I hated cleaning filter socks every week, so I guess that wasn't the only reason, but I am also very curious to find out what happens with coral growth.

The true N and P reduction systems are yet to come - and they will be well documented as well. A 135 FOWLR overrun with GHA, N=100 P=1-3. A 180 FOWLR N=50 P=0.50.

Tags
125 gallon, 125 reef, journal, reef, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com