Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-03-2010, 10:30 PM   #91
Aquarium Advice Freak

The ammonia will be 0 when there is no decaying matter (please correct me if I am wrong). Are you testing the water the LR is in?

Old 02-04-2010, 01:19 AM   #92
Aquarium Advice Addict

No the ammonia will be 0 when the nitrifying bacteria can convert the ammonia from the decaying matter into nitrates from ammonia and nitrites. 2 weeks at least Floyd, 3 for safety. Just keep testing.

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Mitchell0605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:47 AM   #93
Aquarium Advice Addict

Please reference posts 34 through about 43. I am not curing the live rock. I am just soaking it to make sure there isn't any organic matter that would cause an ammonia spike by placing it directly in the tank. My question is related to how long I should wait during this soaking time for an ammonia spike to occur if there is some kind of dead organic matter that would re-hydrate. I currently have it in a covered 14 gallon tote with a powerhead and a heater and it's maintaining about 74.5 F.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:30 AM   #94
Aquarium Advice Addict

A week or two would be sufficient I believe, someone correct me if I'm wrong though.

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Mitchell0605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:28 AM   #95
Aquarium Advice Addict

I just don't see a week or two - I'm not curing the rock. I just want to determine if there was any decaying organic matter that would cause an ammonia spike. I could have just put this stuff directly in the tank, since it's dry base rock, but since it was in someone's tank before, I'm doing this as a safety precaution. So anyone care to chime in on how long I should wait to see an ammonia spike? I wouldn't think it would take more than a day or two to appear if it was going to happen. It something that just needs to dissolve into the water, no bacteria needs to grow to cause an ammonia spike.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:29 AM   #96
AA Team Emeritus

I'd do a day.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:46 AM   #97
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, I just tested the water and WHOA. I'm glad I didn't just drop these in his tank. I put them in at about 3pm yesterday, and now at 10am the ammonia is way up on the scale, not at a readable color, but it's WAY up there. What happened? Did I start the curing process?

The first thing I'm going to do is change the water and see if that gets a spike. If it does, I don't know what I'm going to do!! I wasn't planning on curing all this rock, but I might have to.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:58 AM   #98
Aquarium Advice Addict

I hate API test kits sometimes. The SW ammonia color card doesn't match the color of the test tube, even on a 1/4 strength test. My best guess is that the 1/4 strength test is about 1 ppm, meaning 4 ppm in the tub.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:03 PM   #99
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to divedeep1689
my gf mom has a frog log similar to that in her freshwater tank,in their tank it actually looks decent lol not for me tho lol my tang hides enough as it is
special thanks to melosu58 , roka , thincat,CaptainAhab (and many more who i will list later as i find thier names so i can spell them lol ) for i would not have the tank or the knowledge i have about my tank if not for them.
divedeep1689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:39 PM   #100
Aquarium Advice Regular

It's to bad the owner is actually working against you so much. Seems like he can't comprehend what he's doing. He's gotta be just trowing food in there like crazy to make those kind of water parameters. That's gotta be the hardest part, to get him to listen instead of doing what he always has done. You could completely redo everything every single week but if he keeps it up it won't yield a healthy tank. And on top of that he'll probably question your skills on why it is that way. I feel bad for the fish.

Tags
fowlr, journal, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com