Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-04-2010, 03:52 PM   #101
Aquarium Advice Addict

Skimmer!!!

The skimmer showed up today while I was testing the water, so itís finally installed and running!!

Tank after cleaning

Cyano already taking hold again

Nitrates at 40-50 after water change

Phosphates around 1 ppm Ė better than 2-3 like it was before. Will have to continue to monitor it, hopefully the ROWAphos isnít used up already, that would suck!!

Old 02-04-2010, 09:58 PM   #102
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The skimmer will help the cyano problem. you should see a noticeable difference. You might want to try this stuff. Brightwell Aquatics I have heard great things about it. it is really just a nitrifying bacteria suplement but you will be amazed at what it does to the water clarity about 30 min after you put it in. I usually don't put any chemicals in my tank but I am going to try the MicroBacter7

Old 02-04-2010, 10:38 PM   #103
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm also running my Magnum canister again, that seems to help, it takes a lot of crud out (usually collapses the micron cartridge in 1 day) and probably adds to the flow level. Hopefully it won't be needed after the skimmer kicks in. I want to go in there tonight to check up on it. I heard that most skimmers take about a week to 'set in'. Since this is my first new skimmer experience, we'll see how it goes. I have to say that the Reef Octopus NW-150 is quite easy to setup and use, and the way it's designed makes perfect sense. The other system I work on uses an older AquaC that I think it a piece of junk if you ask me, it took me (an electrical engineer) a while to figure out how to 'tune it in' and then it work variably depending on the sump level. But we'll see how the Reef Octopus does in the long run. Still, lots and lots of tiny bubbles right off the bat!

As for the soaking rock, I emptied the tub and re-filled with a fresh batch of saltwater, it read about 0.5ppm ammonia after a few minutes, after a few hours it went up to 1 or 1.5 maybe. I'm going to rinse it with RODI water a few times (since I have 45g brewed up and 100+GPD system) and do another batch of SW and let that soak overnight at lower heat - 70-72. I'm guessing that there was a bunch of decayed matter from when it was pulled out of the previous tank. Such porous stuff, it's impossible to rinse it all away.

The only thing I don't want to do is to get this stuff cooking, so I've got to keep changing and rinsing until I get a insignificant ammonia rise in a given period...at least that's the idea...
Old 02-05-2010, 11:27 AM   #104
Aquarium Advice Addict

Last night I rinsed the rock off with RODI water and then refilled with fresh SW. This morning, the Ammonia was somewhere between 0.5 and 1.0 ppm, so I think it's safe to say that most of whatever was decayed and dead has been dissolved out. It's only in 8 gallons of water, so if you extrapolate that out to 140 gallons, worst case it will throw 0.05 ppm into the tank water. Even if I threw it into the tank before doing this, it would only have thrown it less than 0.5 ppm, so I guess that would have been 'safe' but I'm glad I soaked it first.

Clean-up crew got lost in the mail. West Palm Beach USPS says they just got it yesterday (Thursday), even though John @ reefcleaners.org (VERY nice and helpful guy by the way) dropped it off on Tuesday. He said there have been problems with USPS and his shipments, so it's time to crack some head at the USPS. He also is going to re-ship the whole shipment. How about that for customer service!!
Old 02-05-2010, 06:49 PM   #105
Aquarium Advice Addict

Clean-up crew & base rock

I added all 45 pounds of base rock and all the CUC today. And the puffer did think it was Christmas I believe. Within 10 minutes, he went after 2 of the big Nerite snails. I have to tell you, it is WAY COOL to see a puffer try to do this. He swam over to it (on the glass) and you could just tell he was like "that's for ME!!!" and pulled his mouth closed and back, then lunged at it. He didn't get it, but he's sure trying!!

I ordered 40 of the Dwarf Cerith snails, but I'm pretty sure he sent me about 120. 5 or 6 hermits (puffer tried to go after one of those too) and about a dozen large Nerites and over 2 dozen small/medium Nerites, and about a half-dozen Nassarius (I put those on the substrate). So the hope is that they will last a while, at least long enough to see if they will get the cyano and green hair algae under control. They were pretty inexpensive, so even if I have to get more that's ok!! Here's some pics

Full tank

And close-ups from right to left

Old 02-05-2010, 06:59 PM   #106
Aquarium Advice Addict

What fish are in there Floyd? I saw a Humbug Damsel and of course the Puffer but is there more?

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Mitchell0605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 07:08 PM   #107
Aquarium Advice Addict

There's 3 of those damsels in there. Used to be a Yellow Tang, but it died the night before the first PWC. I've been told they're 3 stripe damsels?
Old 02-05-2010, 08:24 PM   #108
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah. Three Stripe, Humbugs all the same fish.

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Old 02-06-2010, 03:51 AM   #109
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't think your CUC will eat your cyano or your hair algae...so one out of three isn't so bad....1. won't eat cyano, 2. won't eat hair algae 3. Puffer will eat all of your CUC! hahahaha lol
Old 02-06-2010, 05:05 AM   #110
Aquarium Advice Addict

At least someones happy.

Follow my 6G Pico build!

Tags
fowlr, journal, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com