Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-15-2010, 07:14 PM   #121
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tested today, the important notes are Nitrate between 35 and 40, which is stable or even slightly less than it was when I tested both 7 and 10 days ago. I have made 2 minor (2 degree?) turns on the skimmer and boy howdy is it producing the green-black crud like crazy!!

I am still losing the Phosphate battle, however. It was down to 1 or 1.5, now back up to 2 or 3.

KH has dropped to about 10.2 on Salifert - this is from a high of 11.5-11.8 in mid January after a 55% PWC. Before that, is was below 8.0. That's probably due to the fact that I haven't done a PWC in 2 weeks, but I'm going in tomorrow to do that sometime.

The Cyano doesn't seem to be coming back quite as vigorously. This could be due to the change in the light cycle, lights are only on during lunch and dinner hours, 2-3 hours at a stretch and several hours in between. I also picked up some backing to block out the side and will install that tomorrow as well.

Several snails are obviously dead and will need to be removed. I'm considering a total substrate change-out if I can't get the phosphates under control, but before doing that I suppose getting a handle on the feedings is in order also. On this note, he has cut back to feeding every other day, so there's less uneaten food I believe. All this mat contribute to the low Nitrate production also.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:08 AM   #122
AA Team Emeritus

You need to find the source of the phosphates and eliminate that. Use only RODI water for PWCs and make up water. Rinse all frozen food in RODI water and strain through a fine mesh net.
Feed less frequently (every other day at most).
Do more frequent PWCs to get the phosphates down and help keep them down.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:44 AM   #123
AA Team Emeritus

I think this is the one I have.

BRS GFO and Carbon Reactor - English

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 01:05 PM   #124
Aquarium Advice Addict

Right now I'm less worried about it as long as the algae doesn't make a strong comeback. Down to every other day feeding and cut down the light cycle. Going to block out the side of the tank that is near the window. I use only RODI water. Still working on the food, going to make mush with garlic/vitamins eventually, when I have time. Right now I'm just jazzed that the Nitrates are coming down on their own. Also going to get him a bigger pump for his 225 cichlid tank and put that one on the this tank (Mag 12, he's running Mag 9 now). But right now I need to let his pocketbook take a rest!
Old 02-19-2010, 07:13 PM   #125
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh boy!! I did a 20% PWC (30 gallons) on 2/17 and tested yesterday (2/18), and the results were fantastic! Nitrates are down to 20-25, down from 35-40 which can't really be attributed 100% to a 20% PWC, so denitrification is taking over, and skimming and reduced feeding is doing it's job!!!

Phosphates are 1.5 to 2, down from 2 to 3, so maybe I don't need to replace the ROWAphos quite yet. Now I just need to watch the KH to make sure it doesn't drop below 8 between PWCs.

So as this major project starts to ramp down, I have another potential one:

Tank Journal - 95 Bowfront FO

People just don't know how bad their tanks really are I guess. And maybe, some just don't care.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:10 PM   #126
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've been too busy switching jobs to post in a while, but I'm down to 20% PWCs every other week and after this past weekend Nitrates down to 20, KH dropping still around 9 so not sweating it yet (I'll get to it), Phosphates way up still. Light cycle and every-other-day feeding beating the cyano down.

Oh yeah, and this tank is 100% proof that Nerite snails will totally devour Cyano and green hair algae. The overflows were coated with about 1/4 of algae, and at night the snails come down from the corners and chew trails right through the stuff. It's almost completely gone. The owner said that he occasionally grabs a few of them and drops them on the LR that has a coating of the green hair, and they graze right through it.

The tank water is crystal clear and fish are doing great. The Puffer had wedged himself in a hole in the LR and had a flesh wound that took about a week to heal, then unrealtedly he lost all of this teeth (they just fell out on their own). I guess that happened about a year ago too. Funny!

New thread on another tank starting up soon!
Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:38 AM   #127
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nice Floyd. Looking forward to it as always.

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Mitchell0605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 07:13 PM   #128
Aquarium Advice Addict

Way to go Floyd..
Old 04-05-2010, 08:38 AM   #129
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to SHARPiE
How's this tank doing now Floyd? Any pics?

Useful Acronyms
SHARPiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 11:47 PM   #130
Aquarium Advice Addict

As requested...new pics!

The tank is doing well overall, it went over 2 weeks without a water change and there were only a few pockets of cyano growth on the gravel. Lots of hair algae on the newer LR, I'm going to rig up a piece of hard airline tubing to a siphon to get some of it sucked off (thanks to Freshwater and Marine Aquarium magazine for that hint!) Also in this month's FAMA interestingly enough was a species profile on the 3-stripe Damselfish. As it turns out, only 2 of them are in the tank, the other is a black-tailed damsel.

Check it out

Puffer

All 4

Did a PWC early last week and Nitrates are coming back up - around 30-40. Tank temp was 82 when I checked it the other day. So time for a little TLC again.

Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fowlr, journal, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com