Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-16-2010, 11:53 PM   #131
Aquarium Advice Addict

Does this thing have a sump Floyd?

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Mitchell0605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 11:59 PM   #132
Aquarium Advice Addict

yeah Oceanic 3 - 30 long pics in this post:

Tank Journal - 135 FOWLR

Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 12:37 AM   #133
Aquarium Advice Addict

Does it have any Macro algae in there? I couldn't find it anywhere.

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Mitchell0605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:19 PM   #134
Aquarium Advice Addict

I thought for sure that I had updated this thread sometime in the last 7 month, but I guess not! Been busy with other tanks, and the owner didn't want to spend a lot of $$ this summer on it.

Since the last update, I did a 20% PWC on 5/23 and added a filter sock (rotated the bio-ball tower to cover just 1 side of the intake), then did another 30% on 6/7. Nitrates were at 50 and Phos at 3. I had fought a good battle, but it seemed there was no way to keep them down below 50.

The snails were actually doing a pretty good job of mowing down the algae, but it was just growing too fast. I couldn't add a grazer because of the damsels (and the Nitrates!).

About that time, I stumbled on the Algal Turf Scrubber (ATS) and started making plans for that. Around the same time my RODI went on the fritz and I had to wait for a new water softener, and went to Wal-Mart for Culligan RO top-off water, so lots of big PWCs were off the table.

I changed out the filter sock about every 2-3 weeks, longer than I expected it to take to get dirty enough to need changing. But like I said, the owner was looking to keep the cost down, and he was really looking forward to the ATS.

The Nitrates went up above 100, so I did another 30% (40 gallons) on 9/6 and took these pics 3 days later:

As you can see, the GHA was starting to take over. The Nitrates got up above 100 again, and the algae was really starting to look bad.

I should have taken a set of pics before I cleaned it yesterday. I spent 4 hours and took all the rock out and scrubbed the GHA off, then gravel vac'd the entire bed. It was pretty gunky, I had to siphon off the top layer of all exposed gravel. Ended up with about 1 gallon's worth of gravel. I managed to only use 40 gallons of water.

Next post will have pics from today
Old 11-21-2010, 11:36 PM   #135
Aquarium Advice Addict

I took me 4 hours from the time I walked in the door until I walked out, and my fingers smelled rank!! But, the tank looks great again, and only a few traces of GHA.

To my surprise, I believe one of the snails laid eggs since I cleaned, or the babies just came out of hiding. If you look in the 2nd picture (with the puffer), they are all over the overflow behind him!

Also, to my surprise, I found a sponge growing on 2 of the rocks. I pulled it apart before I saw it, and kept it submerged, so hopefully it will survive. Interesting that life appeared on these otherwise lifeless rocks, so something must have been live at some point. Not sure if the rock it is growing on was one that I added or one that was original.

ATS box is built, but I'm going to modify it slightly before installing it. Going home for Thanksgiving and my Dad and I will work on it (since he built it)
Old 11-22-2010, 02:11 AM   #136
Aquarium Advice Addict

I cant believe those fish are still alive. Good job. I hope you are on them full time.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:38 AM   #137
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bige View Post
I hope you are on them full time.
Hardly! It's a glorified hobby. I make a little over break-even. Whatever I make pays for health insurance that my real job doesn't provide (at least no better than what I can get on my own)
Old 12-01-2010, 01:58 AM   #138
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well mr turbo you've turned that tank around whats next ....selling frags from a dental office LOL
Old 12-01-2010, 09:04 AM   #139
Aquarium Advice Addict

There you are! I couldn't find you on here, only on RC...this is the China Garden tank I told you about.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:36 AM   #140
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundtrigger View Post
Well mr turbo you've turned that tank around whats next ....selling frags from a dental office LOL

funny you say that, my girlfriends ortho has a large tank with some coral needing to be fragged lol

Tags
fowlr, journal, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com