Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-20-2009, 08:47 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to SHARPiE
Being SW Aquarists, It would be really hard to eat at a place with a tank like that. Hopefully their standards in their kitchen are on par :P

Nice work Flyod - I'm tagging along for the ride.

GL with the BBall

Useful Acronyms
SHARPiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 09:56 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

3 years and no maintenance?!? Someone shoot him. Good luck to your son!

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Mitchell0605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 01:44 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Third stage cleaning - 12/20/2009

My plan for this cleaning was to scrub the rest of the algae off and gravel vac all the substrate. I started with 35g RO water that I mixed and heated up early the day before. After I transported the water, I decided it would be a good idea to go get 20 more gallons, just in case. That turned out to be a very good decision.

While that water was heating and mixing, I thought ďhey, why donít I stick my tube scrubber down the overflow uptake and see how dirty that is?Ē That turned out to be a very bad decision. Not in the way that it harmed the fish, it just extended my stay for about an hour. As soon as I started, I realized that there was so much gunk in there that there was no flow coming up through the lower slots. I also quickly realized that the sump was getting clogged, thankfully I positioned a piece of poly batting over the baffle before the pump to catch excess debris, but so much came out that it clogged the floss above the bio-ball tower, and water started just pouring off the top, then the batting clogged and the pump started sucking air, right about the time that I got done scrubbing the second uptake.

So I shut down the sump and spent the next 45 minutes cleaning it up. I sucked another 3 buckets of filth water out of it, cleaned all the pads, wiped it out, filled, and fired it back up. I was too busy to stop and take a picture, but after I fired up the sump, this is what the diatom cartridge on the Magnum looked like

It was pretty much clean before that. Scary, huh?

Then, I took a toothbrush and scrubbed all around the edges, and went to town on the tank side of the overflows. This is what it looked like during that

It actually was a lot worse that this pic shows at one point. After that cleaning, the sump again started sucking air and I had to shut it down, clean the pads, suck it dry, fill it up, and fire it up again. I left the Magnum going this time, even though it looked just as bad.

Then I evaluated my water situation. I estimated that I had about 25-30 gallons left. I calculated out the surface area and figured I could take the tank down about 4-1/2 inches, so I started doing a deep siphon with my python on the gravel bed. This is what I was getting out of it

One word comes to mind. Ewwww.

About halfway to my 4-1/2Ē mark, hereís how it looked

And after I hit the mark and filled it back up, I had made it about ľ to 1/3 of the way across the bottom. I cleaned the diatom cartridge once again and packed it up for the day. It only took 4 hours.

Notice how nice and clean the overflows are (except for the encrusted parts)

I thought this would be the last leg in the major cleaning series, but bad news Ė itís not. The good news is that I only have the rest of the sand bed to go, which should only take another 50 gallon change and itís all gravel siphoning. Yay!!

So needless to say, Iím tired, back is sore, and until I took a shower, I smelled awful. Time for bed.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:07 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Definately. Sounds like you deserve it. Hope your getting paid HEAPS. Great job.

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Old 12-22-2009, 02:24 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

I couldnít wait until tomorrow to post this finding. I finally got a read on the Nitrate level in this tank. I took 2 full test tubes from the tank this afternoon.

I determined the Nitrate level by diluting a sample with freshly mixed RO saltwater. I am using the API test, and I do it by the book Ė 10 drops of #1, cap and turn over several times, shake the bejesus out of bottle #2 for 30+ seconds, 10 drops, shake like crazy for 1 minute, wait 5 for color.

I started with the freshly mixed water for a control. Then I did 100% tank water, just for kicks.

I filled one vial with 5mL tank water, then split it in 2 vials of equal levels, and filled one up the rest of the way with new water, and set it aside. The other, I filled also, and then used that vial to split it again. I continued until I had a 50% tank water sample, a 25%, and a 12.5%. I tested all. Here is the result:

From left to right: Control, 100%, 50%, 25%, 12.5%

It was still hard to get a reading, so I cut it one more time. This pic has 50% down to 6.25%

And hereís the 6.25% (thatís 1/16th strength)

Itís hard to tell from a flash picture, but this reads about 20 ppm or so. Minimum 20 ppm, maybe as high as 30 ppm, but Iím going to go with 20 ppm to account for error.

That means that the Nitrates are at Ė get this Ė 320 ppm.

Before the last 30% water change, that would make it 320 / 0.7 = 450.

Before the previous 25% water change, 450 / 0.75 = 600

Before the initial 20% + water change, 600 / 0.80 = 750

SEVEN HUNDRED AND FIFTY PARTS PER MILLION.

Now Iím not taking into consideration how much is still being produced, etc, but exactly how in the H E double toothpicks does a fish survive in that condition?

That is a testament to the durability of marine animals, if Iíve ever seen one.
Old 12-22-2009, 03:20 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's horrible for the fish. Read that guy the riot act! Thank god you've saved em. Keep up the great work Floyd!

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Old 12-22-2009, 07:38 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Great Job! I wish I could find a side job like that one. Could you do me a solid and convince them to take out that terrible decoration (barrel and frog)
Old 12-22-2009, 07:41 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

And put some more LR in there. Was that all they had Floyd?

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Old 12-23-2009, 11:00 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Could you do me a solid and convince them to take out that terrible decoration (barrel and frog)

Yeah, no kidding. Maybe that would look more appropriate in the 225

That's all they still have! My guess is about 30-40 lbs LR and a few more big heavy non-reef rocks. I just picked up 100lbs+ of dry Fiji & Florida rock for $100.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:30 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post

That's all they still have! My guess is about 30-40 lbs LR and a few more big heavy non-reef rocks. I just picked up 100lbs+ of dry Fiji & Florida rock for $100.
*Faints*

I have more LR in my 23.8G tank.

Follow my 6G Pico build!

Tags
fowlr, journal, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com