Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-27-2010, 03:57 PM   #71
Aquarium Advice Addict

Floyd, I'm a board certified "Puffer" Dentist, but I'm sorry to say that my office is booked for the next three years.
Thincat MDDP

Old 01-27-2010, 05:53 PM   #72
Aquarium Advice Addict

Algae taking over

There is definitely a problem with this system. The algae is out of control. Here are some pics from today.

Right side of tank

Close-up

Rock on left

The green hair algae is easy to identify. However, I wonder if the red stuff is algae or cyanobacteria. If anyone can tell me which it looks like for sure, it would help me remedy the problem appropriately. I bought a 250ml jar of Brightwell Aquatics Phospat-R resin and will be putting half of it in there ASAP and monitor the phosphate levels to see if I can get them to 0 and for how long.

Pulled more water for testing, will report as soon as I can on that.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:47 PM   #73
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thats crazy, the algae is growing like nuts. Turn the lights off for 2-3 days and see what effect that has.

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Mitchell0605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:03 PM   #74
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to SHARPiE
To me it looks like cyano. I don't think diatoms grow that quickly and as thick.

I had problems with algae in my tank (no where near as bad as this). I used these steps to get it back under control:
  1. Blackout for 3 days, then halved the lighting time
  2. Phosphate/silicate remover
  3. RO/DI
  4. Beefed up my CUC
  5. Macro Algae
  6. PWC's until nitrates were low
Looks like you are taking these steps though...

ThinCat, Melosu, Austinsdad, ccCapt - any ideas?

Useful Acronyms
SHARPiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:56 AM   #75
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have an algae problem in my tank and am just wondering what effect the 3 day blackout would have on my corals? i have a bubble tip anemone, hammer coral, lots of different polyps, plate coral...and a few others would they survive this or is it too risky
Old 01-28-2010, 02:33 AM   #76
Aquarium Advice Addict

DON'T!!! Thats only if you have no corals in your tank. Your fun solution is:
Daily 20% PWCs
Phosphate Sponge

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Mitchell0605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:47 AM   #77
Aquarium Advice Activist

I did a 3 day black out for my tank. Your corals can handle it but if you have SPS in your tank(I don't) you might have a problem. I too have a cyano problem that I can't seem to get rid of no matter what I do. I only feed every other day now, do PWC every week, and I cut back my lights two hrs. I did a water test and everything was perfect except for nitrates. I still haven't gotten my tunze skimmer to work right. But once I turned the lights back on it came back just not as much.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:56 AM   #78
AA Team Emeritus

Cyanobacteria. Not diatoms.

Gotta get to the source and fix the problem. Short term solutions aren't the answer. After the lights come back on, so will the cyano. Read the article here at our own site.

Cyanobacteria, AKA Red Slime Algae

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:50 PM   #79
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree with Ray, you need to find the root of your problem. Did you add new sand to your tank? Does not look like you have many fish so you can cut the food down to an absolute min. Cut the lights by a few hours a day and see if that helps. More CUC will help with any left over food.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:00 PM   #80
Aquarium Advice Addict

The CUC will be here next week Wed/Thurs. I just added the phosphate reducer, tested before on the high end of Salifert so 2-3 ppm (hard to tell). We'll see what it does in a day.

I'm going to order some powdered carbon and run that on my diatom filter, as suggested by someone on either this site or another.

He runs the lights from 11am to 8pm. I told him to cut it down to 2pm-8pm. It probably gets enough indirect ambient sunlight to where he could just leave them off until 5pm and run until 10-11 pm, or even just run them during busy hours (11:30-1:30 and 4:30-7) just for display purposes.

I talked to him about the 'mush' feeding method, blending up a variety of seafood and freezing it in ziplocks and portioning it out better, so he's going to try that. They suggest feeding a puffer several times a day though, so we'll have to figure something out

Tags
fowlr, journal, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com