Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-28-2010, 11:55 PM   #81
Aquarium Advice Addict

be sure to be there when he does the first feeding or two. It's so easy to overfeed mush and so hard to take it back.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:02 AM   #82
Aquarium Advice Addict

So how much would you recommend? I figure 1/2 cubic cm twice a day would be plenty, as long as it all gets eaten. Right now, every time I go in there, there's uneaten shrimp at the bottom of the tank. He's not very diligent about removing uneaten food. He says they pick at it and most of it gets eaten eventually, but I disagree with the practice.

Old 01-29-2010, 03:27 AM   #83
Aquarium Advice Addict

How often do you go there? If it's more then twice a week I suggest that you feed them until you get it right! No more then they can eat in 3-4 minutes every other day is more then enough.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:50 AM   #84
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's close, I could go there every day. Even the puffer? That doesn't seem often enough.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:18 AM   #85
Aquarium Advice Addict

Floyd, in the wild they must travel long and swift currents to get most of their food. In the AQ. they only sit around and get fat. That, my friend, is more then likely where your high PO3 is coming from. If you let him continue to feed the tank you will never get it under control. More then just "My opinion", it's a fact.....
Old 01-29-2010, 03:50 PM   #86
Aquarium Advice Addict

Why did that remind me of David Attenborough TC?

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Mitchell0605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 03:55 PM   #87
Aquarium Advice Addict

Let's see....Is it because he is retired? Hahahaha lol
Old 01-29-2010, 09:00 PM   #88
Aquarium Advice Addict

lol

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Mitchell0605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:28 PM   #89
Aquarium Advice Addict

2/2 - Another major cleaning

The cyano and green hair algae got so bad, and it had been a few weeks since the last water change, I decided to do another major cleaning. 80 gallons and I pulled all the LR out and scrubbed the green hair off, then gravel vacuumed the entire tank. The gravel vac does little to actually remove the cyano. I think the major downfall of the Python is the shutoff valve and the faucet connector both reduce the diameter of the hose, and the flow rate is significantly reduced, so it canít suck the little bits out. But it does get all the gunk dissolved in the gravel bed at least, and it turns everything over.

Got all the rock back in, I left out the non-LR slabs (2 of them) andÖ.drum roll pleaseÖ

THE FROG LOG IS DEAD

I threw it out after giving it a quick scrub so it didnít stink up the place. Scarily enough, I found Frog Logís twin brother under the bar sink. He actually got 2 of them!

The skimmer is finally on the way, something got hosed up with shipping. It just arrived in the state today, so with any luck it will be there tomorrow.

The clean-up crew was supposed to be here today, but yet again shipping problems. It got sent from Florida on Tuesday and here it is 10 degrees in Iowa and itís sitting somewhere on a truck or in a sort facility. The guy at reefcleaners.org said thereís been some issues lately and he was tracking it down. I hope theyíre alive when they get here.

Gotta go test the water tonight and Iíll take a few pics. The water tested at 100 ppm Nitrates before the test. I added about ľ to 1/3 of a 500mL jar of ROWAphos on 2/1 and that stuff works a heck of a lot faster than the Brightwell stuff, it dropped the Phosphate from 3 ppm to about 1.5 in about a day. The BA resin didnít seem to do much, I figure that stuff is good for maintaining and long term, and the ROWA is good for a quick knock-down.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:05 PM   #90
Aquarium Advice Addict

I forgot one thing to ask: I scrubbed and rinsed off about 45 pounds of the 110 pounds of the dry base rock I bought from Craiglist and put it in a tub with saltwater, powerhead, heater, covered up in basement. How long do you think I need to keep it in there and test for ammonia before I can be relatively sure that there's no decaying organic matter - a day, two days, a week?

Tags
fowlr, journal, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com