and green hair algae got so bad, and it had been a few weeks since the last water change, I decided to do another major cleaning. 80 gallons and I pulled all the LR
out and scrubbed the green hair off, then gravel vacuumed the entire tank. The gravel vac does little to actually remove the cyano
. I think the major downfall of the Python is the shutoff valve and the faucet connector both reduce the diameter of the hose, and the flow rate is significantly reduced, so it can’t suck the little bits out. But it does get all the gunk dissolved in the gravel bed at least, and it turns everything over.
Got all the rock back in, I left out the non-LR
slabs (2 of them) and….drum roll please…
THE FROG LOG IS DEAD
I threw it out after giving it a quick scrub so it didn’t stink up the place. Scarily enough, I found Frog Log’s twin brother under the bar sink. He actually got 2 of them!
The skimmer is finally on the way, something got hosed up with shipping. It just arrived in the state today, so with any luck it will be there tomorrow.
The clean-up crew was supposed to be here today, but yet again shipping problems. It got sent from Florida on Tuesday and here it is 10 degrees in Iowa and it’s sitting somewhere on a truck or in a sort facility. The guy at reefcleaners.org said there’s been some issues lately and he was tracking it down. I hope they’re alive when they get here.
Gotta go test the water tonight and I’ll take a few pics. The water tested at 100 ppm
Nitrates before the test. I added about ¼ to 1/3 of a 500mL jar of ROWAphos on 2/1 and that stuff works a heck of a lot faster than the Brightwell stuff, it dropped the Phosphate from 3 ppm
to about 1.5 in about a day. The BA resin didn’t seem to do much, I figure that stuff is good for maintaining and long term, and the ROWA is good for a quick knock-down.