Tank leaking, got a new tank, fastest cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hondachico

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 35g hex which started to leak not so long ago and I got a biocube off of Craig's and I wanted to see how fast I can transport my guys from the hex to the nano??

If you transport the sand and rocks, there may be very little cycling.

I heard from someone once that sand isn't important, I was going to transfer rock and water with new sand, good bad idk??

If the cube is established save all the water , live rock , sand. Drain the water , rock into cooler transport and reset it in the new location. I left everything else alone and only needed to add around one gallon of water afterwords.

I did a 29 gallon cube 2 weeks ago and it worked perfect. 2 1/2 hours total time with a half hour drive between locations.

If the cube is established save all the water , live rock , sand. Drain the water , rock into cooler transport and reset it in the new location. I left everything else alone and only needed to add around one gallon of water afterwords.

I did a 29 gallon cube 2 weeks ago and it worked perfect. 2 1/2 hours total time with a half hour drive between locations.

Ok the problem is here, I have a 35g hex and now I also have a 29g cube the cube is dry and was dry for awhile, it was also used for fresh, and I need to transfer everything from the 35 to the cube.

Sorry , Guess I misunderstood what you were doing.

Would still think it would be fairly quick for you though. Hope it works out for you.

Sorry , Guess I misunderstood what you were doing.

Would still think it would be fairly quick for you though. Hope it works out for you.

It's ok I'm still trying to seek help, please anybody???

I helped my daughter switch out a broken 75 to a 125. The new tank had to go into the same spot so we broken 75 gallon down. Put fish and corals into large tubs with powerheads and heaters. Also put rocks into 5 gallon buckets with tank water. We threw out the sand because it smelled really bad when we scooped it out and just replaced it with new. And put everything back. Tanks was cloudy for a day or so but everything was fine

I helped my daughter switch out a broken 75 to a 125. The new tank had to go into the same spot so we broken 75 gallon down. Put fish and corals into large tubs with powerheads and heaters. Also put rocks into 5 gallon buckets with tank water. We threw out the sand because it smelled really bad when we scooped it out and just replaced it with new. And put everything back. Tanks was cloudy for a day or so but everything was fine

How about water, what did u do with the water?

I would make up new water and use maybe use 1/4 old water. That way any bacterial matter suspended in the water will cross over and I think it helps "season" the water in the new tank. JIMO

We used as much as we could if it wasnt too cloudy. We made new salt water to match the temp and salinity as the old tank

Yes, be sure to use tank water you drained before you stirred everything up. New sand might be in order, or rinse in saltwater the old sand to get the detritus out of it.

You don't need to use old water at all. As long as the parameters are the same. Water doesn't really have any bacteria in it so as long as you have your rock transferred you should be fine. If the sand was old I wouldn't use it because there could be a lot of junk.

Ok this is a lot of info thank again guys, more info appreciated if anybody wants to chip in

You don't need to use old water at all. As long as the parameters are the same. Water doesn't really have any bacteria in it so as long as you have your rock transferred you should be fine. If the sand was old I wouldn't use it because there could be a lot of junk.

Sorry, but that isn't quite correct. Reef quality water from a tank has 40 times the bacterial count as raw seawater. But as mentioned, the rock is the most important.

http://www.fishchannel.com/saltwater-aquariums/aquarium-frontiers/testing-for-bacteria.aspx

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom