Tank lid options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AZdogpatch06

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey folks. I just ordered a Hydor nano protein skimmer, and have come to the realization that my glass aquarium lid will no longer fit once it's installed on my 25 gallon tank. I know people keep open tanks, but I'd like minimalise evaporation and potential fish escape. Any thoughts?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Egg crate works well, cause you can cut openings for equipment though it won't do so well with evaporation

Wouldn't that cause lots of shadows with the lights?

Well not really, I've used it before and you can't tell the difference, lots of people use it infact

Here's my current set up on the 25 gallon, with the new skimmer in it. It drives me crazy that it's open air -_-

Attachments

• 1403824672060.jpg
    1403824672060.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 90
FYI: You should be able to find the "egg crate" stuff in Home Depot. It is sold as a "light diffuser". Or you can get some screen framing, mesh, and the rubber stuff that goes in the groove for screening and make your own.

I saw that. Home Depot sells plexiglass that will only have to be cut slightly to fit. I don't understand why the makers of these internal protein skimmers don't take into account that is aquarium owners won't be able to fit the bloody lid with their skimmer in the tank -_-

I think screen is better. Water doesn't condensate on screen; however, it does evaporate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FYI BRS sells a clear plastic mesh and window screen frame. Almost no light reduction and no carpet surfing.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I had to chuckle, what in blazes is carpet surfing? xD

How do other people deal with open tanks?

Scape in a fashion that allows fish plenty of hiding holes and stock in an order that allows your most peaceful fish into the tank first and allow them a couple months to establish before adding the next fish. And keep the number of aggressive fish low, and keep your water quality high. And they still jump sometimes :(.

in a 25g tank you can get by with no skimmer as long as you do your weekly water changes, internal skimmers just take up what little room you already have
if anything get yourself a nice external skimmer, could always sell the internal on craigs list , no sense cluttering inside your tank with internal stuff , after adding more rock and everything you plane you'll need the room

Defiantly egg crate I just got the same skimmer in today. Let me know how it sets up for ya. Nt the egg crate keeps it as open as it can be and stops carpet surfing fish as well..

Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app

True you don't need one but I got mine just as over kill. And on the plexiglass open tops just help light saturation for corals and stuff where the eggcrate allows it through and will detour any extreme sport enthusiasts living in your tank

Every one realizes that the fish will still jump through egg crate if it's small enough right?

Yeah size needs to be taken into consideration

Back
Top Bottom