Tank Light Conversion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lgarmes

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a tank that came with a florescent light top. Does anyone know of a store that sells top conversions to get the proper lighting for soft corals.

What size tank is it and what type of top is it. There are lots of options for lighting upgrades depending on the above details. Post some more info

The tank is an Oceanic 58Gallon Standard Show Tank. The tank came with a standard florescent light hood.

There are websites online that sell "retro" kits. These kits can be used to convert an existing canopy but if your light hood is one of those plastic ones (thats what it looks like from the photo) then your probably gonna have to do something else because just about any higher output lighting setup you use is going to produce more heat than the standard bulbs and thus will proably end up melting the plastic hood.

For soft corals I would suggest a pair of 96W power compact florecents or maybe a pair of VHO bulbs. What are the dimentions on the 58Gal Show?

You can get a prebuilt canopy that is made of wood or steel or you could build your own out of wood and use a retro kit to wire up and install you own lights. Depending on how comfortable you feel about it.

I thank you for your advice. I finally found a company that makes a custom cap for my tank. Also, thanks for the lighting suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom