tank mates for a dwarf lion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

michealprater

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am turning my 46 gallon corner tank into a fowlr. It will be the new home of my dwarf fuzzy lion. I am open for suggestions as for what tankmates to keep with him. I have pondered puffers and even a panther grouper ( I dont think the tank is big enough for a grouper though). So lets hear what you guys would keep with him in a 46 gallon. I may add a 10 gallon sump to it, It is a reef ready tank and thats probalbly all I can fit under it. So that will put me up to 56 gallons.

A snowflake eel would work, but i dont really like them. I do like the puffer thing. How about a Humu Trigger?

Moray eels are known to prey on lionfish in the wild. They sneak up on them while sleeping and swoallow them head first, so they can't erect their spines. Lionfish can only deliver toxin if their spines are erected. IMO, a trigger may nip on the fins of the lion, puffers are known to do the same thing in the ocean. Funniest thing I saw on the discovery channel was a nature thing where they showed lots of huge lionfish being hounded and harrassed by small puffers. The puffers were tearing them up, the lion would swallow a puffer and immediately spit it out. A puffers skin is toxic. There was nothing the lion could do, lions aren't the most agile fish and striking with the spines is awkward, so they couldn't even fight back.

That is pretty funny, I did know that the lion could only "inject" you when the spines were erected, but still cool

you may be happy if you went with just puffers and no lionfish. though beautiful, lionfish not all that exciting where as puffers are curious and interesting

hmm, I disagree, Lions have their own personality. They are the snobs of the fish tank. I like mine so much that I bought an adoreable little baby only 2 inches long today...his name is spike! He and puffy seem to be getting along well together too!

I thought my lion was a dwarf fuzzy, turns out he is a antenna lion. Maybe I could add a dwarf fuzzy and a fumanchu?

The fuzzy lion is my favorite. They do not get too big and they have very good color. I just got mine a few weeks ago and it is my favorite fish. It was very small when I got it, about 1 1/4". I have mostly clowns and they all get together fine. I guess they really don't have a choice!

Back
Top Bottom