Tank Moved!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sharkbait430

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I decided to move the tank myself this weekend since I didn't want to wait for the 24th for the LFS to do it for free...(I'm very impatient, its amazing I let the tank cycle for 6 weeks, lol). Everything went smoothly and all the livestock is doing great! I read, reread, and read again all the posts and articles about moving and so I figured it wouldn't be too bad moving it myself. The only thing is my rock work isnt exactly the same which is a little disappointing because I loved the way it was but Im still working on getting things moved around. Soooo....just wanted to fill everyone in on the fact that the tank was officially moved to my new home and all is well!

I also placed an order for new equipment with drsfostersmith.com. I got a protein skimmer made for the BioCube, new nets, a new SW test kit, new bulbs for my 8g and the 29g, and a refractometer with calibration fluid. So thats about it and can't wait 'til it all gets here!

Now for a question...

1) The tank used to be in a basement family room so it was always nice and cool and i always had the temp. between 80-82F. Now the tank is in my living room upstairs where it is pretty hot during the day if no one is home and the AC isnt on. Yesterday it got up to 84F! So whats my best bet? If the AC is off during the day its going to get way too hot for the tank so should I have a fan blowing on it for the whole day or what else could I do besides spending entirely too much on a chiller that I will only need for the summer months?

Spotted Mandarin

I also wanted to know if a spotted mandarin would be alright to put in the tank. I saw one yesterday at the LFS and the woman loved it - I figure I have to keep her happy. I also would like to have one because they are bottom dwellers and so it would be cool to have some of that amazing color on the bottom of the tank. Anyone have any experience with them?

Mandarins need a very well established tank with a breeding copepod population, I would suggest holding off on that one for a while

Mandarins need a very well established tank with a breeding copepod population, I would suggest holding off on that one for a while

Would I be able to establish a copepod population in my tank or would I have to keep them in a different tank? I am going to be starting a dwarf seahorse tank and they feed on copepods so I think it best that I get a good population going.

as long as you have a safe spot in your tank or a refugium that they can establish a colony, I have mine in my fuge with some chaeto, when I want to feed the pods to the tank I just give the chaeto a little shake next to the return pump

as long as you have a safe spot in your tank or a refugium that they can establish a colony, I have mine in my fuge with some chaeto, when I want to feed the pods to the tank I just give the chaeto a little shake next to the return pump

chaeto? Im sorry, lol.

Where would there be a safe spot in the tank though?

chaetomorph is a macroalgae, (green balled grassy stuff), In the DT you could have a tightly packed area of LR that fish cant get to, just somewhere where they will be safe

Back
Top Bottom