Tank moving dilema...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jackdp

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I want to move my 20 gallon tank downstairs to relieve heat issues along with some other problems. I came up with a plan. Its only a 20 gal. tank and it is scratched up etc. So I thought it would be just as easy to buy a new tank and a nicer stand to put in the living room downstairs. This way I can move everything from one tank to the next, rock, sand, water etc and hopefully avoid any ammonia and/or loss of bacteria issues.
Now here is the dilema...I go to the LFS to price the new 20 long and stand. Don't you know it that the 20 long tanks are right across from the 46 gal bowfronts and the 55's and the 125's etc. Now a 46 gallon bowfront isn't THAT much bigger than a 20 gallon is it? Do you think my fiance would notice that the new tank was just a LITTLE bit larger. If I'm going to buy a new tank anyways, wouldn't it make sense to just get the 125...how can I disguise a 125 to look like a 20 long? Do you think she would notice?

I think she would notice, but like pretty much anyone here, i would go with the 125. She might not notice the difference between the 46 though. They are about the same length. Buy the 125 and just tell her that it was a good deal and you want your fish happy :twisted:

Or...get it done before the wedding and when she looks cross eyed at you, tell her..."What are you...my wife?" That should let her know whos boss ;)

LOL maybe if I scribble 20 GALLONS on it with big wax pencil and say..."But honey, the guy at the store said it was 20 gallons..who am I to argue with an expert? :roll: " lol The bigger tank would be a definite except right now we live in a dinky townhouse..once we move, I'll seal off a room and make it one big reef tank 8O

LOL, actually at work last week a guy bought a 240g perfecto for $500 and called while I was standing there and told his wife he won it in a raffle at the store.....just and idea :lol:

I say go for it. My philosophy is that it is much easier to ask for forgiveness then it is to ask for permission. You may be in the dog house for a night or two but you will have a big tank to look at for years to come. Let us know what you decide...Lando

Ha ha I know how it is to have this hobby and a wife. I also know that somtimes that is a really tough combonation. What I use is the Ole' Divorce O meter.. For instance A) would she notice B) would she care and C) would she care enough to divorce me over it? It's a simple little plan. But just to give you the reality of the situation my wife uses that same meter everytime she walks into a mall and or shoe store:)

Doan

Just start planning the concessions. If you have them lined up, it might be easier.

You'll be a lot better off if you do it now instead of thinking later, "man, if I had only bought it bigger back then!" Try to imagine that discussion as newlyweds or later. Save yourself the trouble later.

lol you guys mae me laugh... I just love coming here..... personally as a female... Id say buy it.... first off... youll never have to buy another larger.... Correct? lol If you feel guilty.... well then discuss it first... I know how Id look at it then again Im an Enthusiast... lol I went from a 30 to a 75 and told hubby... hte 30 was needed badly... to cure rock, hospital fish ect.. now I have 2 tanks... he he.... Happy Fishing!!

Back
Top Bottom