Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-30-2016, 02:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Tank not cycling!? 20 gallon long.

This is my first saltwater tank and I was really excited to set it up. My tank has been set up for three weeks now. I only use RO water, I cant afford an RO/DI unit. I've added a cube of brine shrimp to get the cycle started. Ammonia was at 2 ppm I'm using a cheap internal filter cause I can't afford a sump (I'm 14). My temperature is set at 82, I've added dry rock, I added beach sand a week ago. I tested the sand and there were no phosphates and it did not affect my ph. There is a lot of gas exchange from my poweheads. I don't run my lights because I was told it wasn't necessary. I've been adding doses of Microbacter7 for a week now and my ammonia is still at 2 ppm, nitrites 0 ppm, nitrates 0 ppm. I'd sometimes get .25 nitrites but never nitrates. I had a temperature swing from 82 to 70 last night because someone unplugged my heater. What is going on!? I'm starting get really frustrated. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Ammonia - 2 ppm
Nitrites - 0 ppm
Nitrates - 0 ppm
pH - 8.4
SG - 1.025

Here are photos of the tank.
Postimage.org / gallery - IMG 0664, IMG 0665

dulcisveteranus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 07:32 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
Add a small piece of live rock to help kickstart the system better and then it is just a case of time I'm afraid.
Marty.h is offline   Reply With Quote

20 gallon, cycling, gallon, long, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com