Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-11-2005, 04:25 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Tank on 2nd Floor: Will it support it?

I was just looking for anyone with some experience when it comes to construction or building homes. I have a 3 story home and just bought a 180gal. I would like to move my 75gal to the second floor. I was just curious if this was enough weight to be concerned about. Will the floor sag or cause any problems? The home is only 10 years old. Not the best craftsmanship but I am sure up to code. Does anyone have a clue what a second story should support in a standard home? I will run the tank across the beams as opposed to running parallel.

9 Watt UV Ster.
100lbs. Live Rock (Fiji,Tonga Br)
125lbs. Aragonite Base
Maculosus Angel~Yellow Tang~Flame Hawk~Canary Blenny~Pajama Cardinal~Bl Yel Tl Damsel~Brittle Star

10 Gallon Sea Clear Acrylic est. 7-05
Whisper HOB w/carbon+ 1 rio 400 PH
65 watt 12K PC
DSB + 6lbs. Fiji LR/2lbs. Base R
5 Bl Leg Hermits/ 5 Astrea Snails
1 Serpeant Star/ 1 Whte Burr Star
Leather Coral
Orange+Green Zoos
Growth of Halimeda
SALTYDAWGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 04:32 PM   #2
Kam
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to Kam
Water is roughly 8 lbs per gallon. So a 75 gal tank is about 600 lbs. Add the weight of the tank, stand, rocks, sand, etc and you are probably around 1000 lbs.

A hard sided water bed will weight a little more than that so I dont think you will have any issues.

If you can position the tank on an outside wall, it will be better supported.

2 Green Chromis
1 Emerald Crab
3 Peppermint Shrimp
4 Scarlet Hermit Crabs
1 Blue Knuckle Hermit Crab
1 Large Turbo Snail
Hitchhickers: 3 Purple sea urchins, lots of rock crabs, pistol shrimp, brittle stars, snails, worms, etc.
and aiptasia, aiptasia, aiptasia (it was free $$)
Kam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 04:36 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
A 75 gal will be fine on the second floor with out any extra supports. I have a over my full basement and the floor is holding it just fine. One thing to note is if at all possible place the tank so it sits over as many floor joists as possible. Since a 75gal is 4' long and most floor joists are 16" on center you should be able to get it over three joists. In addition its best if the tank sits close to a wall that is a load bearing wall. This will mean it has more support under it naturally. As a rule of thumb all external walls are load bearing and usually the wall that runs directly down the middle of the house. When putting the tank down if you can put down a bit of plywood that is the same footprint as the tank stand that will help distrabute the weight over the three joists vs having it over just two (assuming the stand has just four legs).

With what you said it should be fine. Think of how much weight is on a floor in a dinning room during say a holiday when there is 10 people all who are over 150lbs on average.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 04:39 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks for the help. I am still having a hard time typing with my foot in my mouth. You understand Fishfreek? That answers my question exactly.
9 Watt UV Ster.
100lbs. Live Rock (Fiji,Tonga Br)
125lbs. Aragonite Base
Maculosus Angel~Yellow Tang~Flame Hawk~Canary Blenny~Pajama Cardinal~Bl Yel Tl Damsel~Brittle Star

10 Gallon Sea Clear Acrylic est. 7-05
Whisper HOB w/carbon+ 1 rio 400 PH
65 watt 12K PC
DSB + 6lbs. Fiji LR/2lbs. Base R
5 Bl Leg Hermits/ 5 Astrea Snails
1 Serpeant Star/ 1 Whte Burr Star
Leather Coral
Orange+Green Zoos
Growth of Halimeda
SALTYDAWGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 04:41 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

i have kept a 75 gallon on the second floor in 2 different houses without any problem. In fact, I am planning on upgrading to a 120 gallon in the next year or so, and I am not worried about that either. Unless you have a termite problem or have had one in the past, I would not worry about it.
2 clowns - 1 damsels - 1 royal gramma - 1 coral banded shrimp - 1 cleaner shimp - 1 emerald crabs - assortment of snails and hermits - sandsifting star - orange starfish - 1 hammer - 1 bubble - 1 toadstool - 1 small colony of zoos
SpEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 06:41 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Fishfreek summed it up very well. Here is an article I found when researching the same thing: http://www.cichlid-forum.com/article...ium_weight.php

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of Liberty -JFK
fishyrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 09:14 PM   #7
Kam
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to Kam
SALTYDAWGY - at one time or another we have all worried about the size of our tanks and location. I am moving from 55 to 120 and looked into this. My post is based on my findings and information from others.

2 Green Chromis
1 Emerald Crab
3 Peppermint Shrimp
4 Scarlet Hermit Crabs
1 Blue Knuckle Hermit Crab
1 Large Turbo Snail
Hitchhickers: 3 Purple sea urchins, lots of rock crabs, pistol shrimp, brittle stars, snails, worms, etc.
and aiptasia, aiptasia, aiptasia (it was free $$)
Kam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com