Tank on way help 75 g reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GhostKnife

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello,
In three weeks a 75 gallon reef ready tank will arrive for me! Ill tell you what all is coming, if you will tell me what you would like to see or what you use or dont use for your tanks.
75 gallon 48 x 18 x 21, glass wall overflow, 2 holes pre-drilled for overflow, 2 bulkheads for holes, hinged glass top, an acrylic cover for overflow, 20 gallon acrylic sump, and custom stand to house both tank and sump.

Starting with live sand, lighting, rock, filter, all the way to what picture i should hang in my dining room next to it... haha
As I piece it together I will let you know what I get when I get it and send pics of the tank and process.
GK
P.S. Post one thing or your whole setup. Make this fun!!!!

Last edited:
Welcome to AA!

If you going to set up a reef tank, you won't need the glass tops. :) Everything else sounds good so far. What are your plans for lighting?

Yes the lighting choice is one of the most crucial choices for sure.

Is this your first stab at a reef tank?? and how much live rock did you order?
Does the reef ready tank come with all the plumbing for the sump including return pump etc... Do you have a saltwater mixing station already setup?

Congrats on the new tank. Progression pics will be nice. What type lighting will you have?

Congratulations on joining the dark side! Welcome to AA!

Lighting is very important for the reef tank. I would also recommend having a refugium on your system to further your filtration. If you want to see my system click on the link in my signature. I have a lot of information there things to do and things not to do.

ccCapt,
I have read that. However I ordered on due to the fact that my Siberian Husky sheds like no other... Im serious chunks will be swept away even after a good brushing(Furminator brush).
Anyways lets talk lighting: Metal Halide is one of my choices as well as power compact fluorescent. Now price differences are worlds apart. I need help on every component going into this its my first reef. I have done research and own a fresh water tank. I plan on having inverts as well I've heard metal halide is optimal for reef invert tanks.. Thoughts.......

FijiWigi,
No it does not come with plumbing or return pump. No live rock ordered yet, however I need good advice on where to order that from as well. This is my first go around. I am well prepared, however, like any noob I dont know everything. This is why I am looking to you people. Salt water mixing station will be five gallon buckets.. However tank will be set up in dining room(wood floor) which is close to my kitchen .. Right through hall and around corner. I was thinking maybe trash can in closet to store in a cool dark place... Advice???

Ziggy ,
I would like a refugium and was planning on using live rock as part of my filtration. Now what type of filtration. Bio-wheel I like the one I have on my FW do they work and hold the good bacteria for SW? Or is the sump taking care of things like that if I had LR in it or refugium? Ziggy the other night i read your entire post build.....errrrr... haha tiresome sounding... Crazy as well. Nice looking tank and all of the inhabitants as well!!! Thanks.

Last edited:
Melosu58,
Thanks. I am undecided yet on lighting metal halide or power compact fluorescent. I dont know. What do you think would be good for 75 gal. with those dimensions?

To All,
I am planning on taking pics maybe my girlfriend will she is excited. Now I dont know if she will stay up and help and take pictures until 3 in morning... Ziggy you have the exception.HAHA... But I will carry this out and in the weeks leading up to I hope to have many necessities figured out so I can have the components waiting on the tanks arrival!

Ziggy, I like the idea you originally had of creating an open space in the middle of tank with the LR formation. My tank dimensions will allow for that.

Is there a ratio that is reasonable for LR/gallon or LS/gallon?

What do you think about this lighting a fixture?

48 inch Deluxe 440-watt German Power Compact fixture, Hamilton. Comes with 4 55-watt actinic 03 blue PC bulbs & 4 55-watt 10K PC bulbs. Includes enclosed ballast, 1 fan, high quality polished alumin... More Info

To All,
I am planning on taking pics maybe my girlfriend will she is excited. Now I dont know if she will stay up and help and take pictures until 3 in morning... Ziggy you have the exception.HAHA... But I will carry this out and in the weeks leading up to I hope to have many necessities figured out so I can have the components waiting on the tanks arrival!

Ziggy, I like the idea you originally had of creating an open space in the middle of tank with the LR formation. My tank dimensions will allow for that.

Is there a ratio that is reasonable for LR/gallon or LS/gallon?

The general rule for LR is 1.5 - 2lbs per gallon of water. This will provide the amount of surface area necessary for good biological filtration via bacteria colonies.

What do you think about this lighting a fixture?

48 inch Deluxe 440-watt German Power Compact fixture, Hamilton. Comes with 4 55-watt actinic 03 blue PC bulbs & 4 55-watt 10K PC bulbs. Includes enclosed ballast, 1 fan, high quality polished alumin... More Info

Since I trust you are wanting a full reef I would suggest skipping PC fixtures and look into T5HO or a combination of T5 and Metal Halide.

PC fixtures get very hot and don't generate deep penetrating light. I have used a PC fixture before and it worked for a time but I wanted more corals then fish and I had to upgrade.

You'll hate that glass top. I tried one after I lost my 2nd fish from excessive jumping.

It kills gas exchange, and moisture /salt will build up on it, and pretty soon you won't be able to see through it - and of course all that stuff is "baked" on, cause you'll have lights right over it.

I'd look for, or build, a canopy. Mine looks awful, it was built for function, rather than form. Everythink looks much cleaner, you can hide all the wires, plumbing, etc.

DSC01065.JPG

DSC01068.JPG

Well this will work out perfect then. I will not use the glass top and I will order a canopy. The tank will be fishless for a while and I will be able to have sometime before it gets here.!!! Thanks for the idea and photos.

Back
Top Bottom