Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-22-2014, 02:09 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Tank overheating!!

Need some help or advice. Noticed that the temperature in my 60 gallon saltwater tank was going up to 80 degrees, then went up to 82.5... I unhooked the water heater and left it out overnight. During the middle of the night, the temperature jumped to 85 degrees. I turned some fans on and it went back down to 80 degrees but now it's going back up to 82.5 degrees, with the fans on and lights off. Also, my protein skimmer is bubbling over and there are micro bubbles going in the tank so I turned the skimmer off as well... Any suggestions on why the temperature is going up on its own? Could any of the pumps or anything in the sump be causing this? We added some live rock to the tank today as well, not sure if that matters or not...

Old 03-22-2014, 06:57 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Need way more information on your set up. How long, what pumps, ph, lighting ect.

Old 03-22-2014, 02:27 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Any of the pumps can be the source of heat. One way to find out is turn them off one at a time and observe. An electrician has an instrument called "amprobe" or a clamp meter. It measures the ac current flowing in an electrical circuit. One of your pump may be is going bad and produces heat. Most likely the bigger pump is the culprit and it is your return pump.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 02:58 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

An lazier thermonater is a reefers best fried when trouble shooting heat issues
Old 03-22-2014, 03:09 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nice info Holygral and it's not that expensive either.

Non Contact IR Laser Temperature Gun Infrared Digital Thermometer Sight Handheld | eBay

Old 03-22-2014, 04:26 PM   #6

How close are...

... How close are your rooms heating radiators?/vents?/baseboards? to your tanks location?, Just thought I'd ask, since nobody else did.. Also, I thought that one of those "LASER" THERMOMETERS , while nice, wouldn't help YOU anyway!, sure they will tell you what your tanks temp is, but you already seem to know that! If you've never had that problem before it could be heat generated from your lighting, some bulbs and tubes seem to generate more heat as they age, filter pumps/motors can also generate heat so can the rooms temperature. Also, what type of thermometer are you using on your tank? I never trust those cheap stick on the outside of the glass type, they tend to pick up a rooms temp a bit more than they do with the temp inside of the tank.
Old 03-22-2014, 04:40 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Maybe I missed it, but what kind of lighting are you using?
Old 03-22-2014, 04:44 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

You point the laser to the pump and it will give you the temp differential with water. Compare the temp of each pump and you will have an idea which one is excessive. His tank temp is high even left without heater overnight. There is no sun at night so window is irrelevant.

Old 03-22-2014, 04:47 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

My tank retains some of the heat it from the whole day even after lights out.

I run mag return pumps and they are known to be one of the hotter pumps and still my temp doesnt break 80. ( this is the temp I am comfortable with as its constant).

I'm even running a mag 9.5 in the 60g I have and while it does run at 80 degrees its steady so I let it be.
Old 03-22-2014, 05:18 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Tank overheating!!

The pump needs to be pretty nasty before it adds tons of heat. Did anyone pickup on the type of lighting and it's potential cause of overheating? Only a few things can add heat to the system; heaters, submerged pumps, lighting and that's it. I guess if the tank set right over a heat vent in the house, that could cause some issues. What is the ambient temp in the house?

First goal, get the temp steady no matter where it is. 82F is high but not lethal. 5deg temp swings are.

Tags
eat, eating, heat, heating, overheating, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com