Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-14-2003, 01:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank Oxygenation

Is a skimmer enough to oxygenate a tank? or should I consider an airstone in the sump?

Old 05-14-2003, 02:48 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
A skimmer and the normal agitation found in a sump is more than enough. Most gas exchange occurs at the water surface. In a sump the surface is always new you are getting premium gas exchange. Are you experiencing a problem that you would attribute to low oxygen levels?

Old 05-14-2003, 02:52 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

no...just being cautious. I get a bubble tip anemone and 2 clowns delivered tomorrow for my quarantine tank and I just am tying up lose ends like purchasing a RO/DI unit...
Old 05-14-2003, 05:36 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

is it ever possible for to much oxygen? i got quit a few airstones ect cause it looks cool but is it poss to overdose?
Old 05-14-2003, 06:34 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Do not mistake the bubbles for oxygenation, the gas exchange takes place when the bubbles break the surface. There are several reasons why airstones are ill advised for the tank itself, saltcreep, seaspray and micro bubbles just being a few.

To the original question...no, there is no such animal, once it reaches saturation, onxygenation does not take place, excess oxygen is simply released into the air.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 08:14 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ReefRaff Send a message via MSN to ReefRaff Send a message via Yahoo to ReefRaff
Quote:
Is a skimmer enough to oxygenate a tank? or should I consider an airstone in the sump?
It was my understanding that the bubbles in the skimmer (being really fine) collect or attract DOC's to them selves, thus the O2 in the bubble doesn't actualy contact the water.

I kind of think of it this way. The DOC's act as insulation between the bubble and the water.
ReefRaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 04:49 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

saltcreep seaspray what r these thing? im not familiar with these.... what r they diseases? or what?
Old 05-17-2003, 06:13 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
When the bubbles from the airstone break the surface, there is a fine mist of water that kinda hovers there. The water, if you have a SW tank, contains salt. As the water dries up, on the lights, hood, side of tank, ect... , the salt stays. Soon, you have a crust of dried salt everywhere. Unattractive and a real pain to clean up. If it's a FW tank, you'll usually have some white deposits where the spray has dried up.
Logan J

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com