Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-02-2012, 01:05 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlopNewsom
Those are two things I hadn't thought of. I will go back and check record on the lights. I will read up on reactors. I had thought of an algae scrubber but I'm not sure I can get one set up- its so tight in that cabinet. I did read about vodka dosing. Have any of you tried that?
I dose vinegar because I had an algae issue. It has worked really well. I used to have a ton of green algae on my walls. I would scrape it off and it would be back in about 3-4 days. So annoying to have to get wet up to your shoulder to scrape that frequently. Anyway, I followed a dosing regiment on the Internet and it has worked very well. You do get a little white growth on your lr but it has subsided and things are settling down again. My algae problem is resolving. I do not yet have a media reactor. I am looking at a dual reactor from brs so I can run carbon on one side and gfo on the other. Once I get that going I might discontinue vinegar. We will see.

Old 09-02-2012, 02:10 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Did the vinegar change the ph....

Old 09-02-2012, 02:43 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bskerrichard27
Did the vinegar change the ph....
It has not been bad so far. My tank is 125g and about 30 g in the sump. I am only adding 22ml per day currently, so as long as your KH is high enough you will have the buffering ability to prevent any drastic changes. I am about 4 weeks in and I have only noticed a drop of about 0.1 units.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:48 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

I may try that if I don't have any improvement in a couple weeks. I was thinking of investing in a canister filter to kind of boost the biological one.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:49 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200 gallon reef
The depth of the water the skimmer sits in is crucial.
So deeper increases skim?
Old 09-02-2012, 03:15 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlopNewsom
I may try that if I don't have any improvement in a couple weeks. I was thinking of investing in a canister filter to kind of boost the biological one.
Here's a link to learn a little more about it. I followed their dosing chart. http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....arine-aquarium

I would avoid the canister. I don't know that much but have heard that they become nitrate factories.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:21 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thank you. I'll be reading.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:20 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

make sure you clean the tubing after each water change as nitrates will be present in the tube.
David S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:26 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

25g water change is not enough once a week if you are having issues with algae. I would suspect that you have nitrates and or phosphates. The algae you have will consume the nitrates and the phosphates to the point the test kits will not read them. I would start doing more frequent water changes and clean the algae out daily. I would also look into a gfo reactor
Old 09-02-2012, 10:52 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavass
25g water change is not enough once a week if you are having issues with algae. I would suspect that you have nitrates and or phosphates. The algae you have will consume the nitrates and the phosphates to the point the test kits will not read them. I would start doing more frequent water changes and clean the algae out daily. I would also look into a gfo reactor
Yes, I have heard that limiting phosphates is the most effective means of algae control. Algae basically needs three things to grow-nitrate, phosphate, light. If you can limit one of these nutrients you will limit the algae growth.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com