Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-25-2005, 01:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Tank questions

My husband is passing by an idea to me, but i am not sure how it would work, so opinions are needed. My husband wants to combine our tanks. He wants to get a 265 and just have one tank. My tank inhabitants are listed in my signature. His are: 4 chromis, koran Angel, snowflake eel, and a pygmy angel. He WANTS to order a pakistan butterfly and clown tang.

Here are the questions:

1. Is a 265 large enough to house an Emperor and koran angelfish?
2. Also will the Tang get along with the tangs I have?
3. Is the tank large enough to get a butterfly with my sailfin in there (note the tang and butterfly has not been ordered).
4. Last question, will the eel (it's a baby right now) eat my fish? We feed it EVERY DAY, so as long as a do that will it be ok?

We already have the filtration taken care of, rock ect ect. All we would need is upgraded pumps, skimmer and chiller. Alex and his buddy Ray make **** good stands and hoods. So I am kinda diggin this idea. Opinions and foreseeable problems???

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
clowninround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 03:14 PM   #2
steve-s

Re: Tank questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by clowninround
He wants to get a 265 and just have one tank. My tank inhabitants are listed in my signature. His are: 4 chromis, koran Angel, snowflake eel, and a pygmy angel. He WANTS to order a pakistan butterfly and clown tang.

Here are the questions:

1. Is a 265 large enough to house an Emperor and koran angelfish?
Long term not the best idea. The imperator is not very accepting of similar fish species in general. As it gets older/larger it could present probelms. A 265 gal tank is definately a plus but the imperator will get upwards of 10-14". A possibility still but if you choose to do so, add them simultaniously and be prepared that one will most likely need to be removed eventually.

Quote:
2. Also will the Tang get along with the tangs I have?
I would definately suggest against the clown tang idea. They are increadibley skiddish fish even for a tang, especially when young. They generally do not acclimate well to captive care and often refuse to eat. If you can get a healthy specimen that does adapt, you then need to worry about it's behavior as it grows. Small clown tangs are quite timid but as they age and settle in, they most always become quite beligerant. You would have trouble with the other tangs and the angel species.

Quote:
3. Is the tank large enough to get a butterfly with my sailfin in there (note the tang and butterfly has not been ordered).
Chaetodon collare would actually be a fine addition but I would make sure it is established before the others are added. I would also suggest you get them in at least a pair. They will fair much better.

Quote:
4. Last question, will the eel (it's a baby right now) eat my fish? We feed it EVERY DAY, so as long as a do that will it be ok?
Generally not an issue with other fish as long as the eel is fed which it appears it is. The main problem I find is with benthic species like your watchman. The eel is not above killing another for it's "burrow". You will also need to return the decorative inverts, the eel would make short work of those.

Cheers
Steve
Old 09-25-2005, 03:23 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to flamingonhot Send a message via Yahoo to flamingonhot
The only problem i can see is you getting another tang and your snowflake eel and your pygmy angel. As you probably know your eels will get pretty big and will eat almost any fish that will fit in its mouth.

Your angels might not bother eachother due to the large tank size but still keep a close eye on them and remove one if necessary.
Old 09-25-2005, 03:48 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

the cromis would probably last 10 mins
Old 09-25-2005, 04:04 PM   #5
steve-s

Actually contrary to popular belief, the smaller fish will be just fine. SFE's are actually quite lazy and will not bother /anymost fish species if kept properly fed. I seriously doubt the eel will be a concern in that regard at all.

Cheers
Steve
Old 09-25-2005, 04:19 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I tend to agree with steve, as always. Our friend has had a snowflake for over a year now with 6 chromis, damsels ect and no problems whatsoever. He actually took 8 months to eat just 1 of the 4 peppermint shrimp in his tank. The one my husband has is also in with chromis, no promblems either. However we feed him quite well.

My husband said nix the clown tang, but now threw in about a sohal???

We found a 240 long (96x24x25) at glasscages for 450 8O Better choice than the 7ft 265 correct?

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
Old 09-25-2005, 04:21 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingonhot
The only problem i can see is you getting another tang and your snowflake eel and your pygmy angel.
The snowflake will not bother the tang. You may have tang on tang aggression that may/maynot sort itself out. That would be a big concern.
Old 09-25-2005, 04:41 PM   #8
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by clowninround
My husband said nix the clown tang, but now threw in about a sohal???
Tank size would not be the issue but rather conspecific fish "resemblance". The Sohal is a rather boisterous fish but generally does well when aquired small. The issue I see is with the Naso. They are very similar fish and Sohals are extermely intollerant of conspecies. They will often fight to the death.

Quote:
We found a 240 long (96x24x25) at glasscages for 450 8O Better choice than the 7ft 265 correct?
When looking at a tank specifically for fish compatability, length/width are the main concerns, not simpley tank size. The 96" tank is good but depending on the dimensions of the 450, obviously better.

Cheers
Steve
Old 09-25-2005, 04:44 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to flamingonhot Send a message via Yahoo to flamingonhot
i didnt say anything about the snowflake and the tang, i said i thought the snowflake would attack the pygmy angel.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:50 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

For some reason this silly thing is not letting my post...hopefully this goes threw.

What can I get? I have a preference for tangs. I want at least one medium to large sized fish.

My husband says I am on my own. I am getting the tank, but he doesn't want to give up anything later on down the road, he really loves his angel as do I...so I guess we are having two tanks...not really sure how I feel about it, but it should be ok. As long as I can figure out how to fill it up...I had an empty looking tank for the longest time, not wanting that again : )

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com